Civil Partnership for Heterosexual Couples

Options
As a straight couple, we're considering having a civil partnership, probably as a temporary measure, with a view to getting married at a later time, maybe in a year or a few years.

At the moment we're not sure exactly what kind of wedding we want and would rather focus on other things (like having kids, as I'm running out of time due to my age!).

I want to have the legal and financial protection of marriage prior to having kids. We're not religious and have no family pressure to get married or have a wedding.

I've read that gay couples can "convert" a civil partnership into a marriage, but straight couples can't. I'm not sure what exactly that means.

Does anyone know how you go about getting married when you already have a civil partnership if you're a heterosexual couple? Do we have to go through some long process of dissolving the civil partnership first?

I suppose I just want to know that the option is there to get married later, and that we're not shooting ourselves in the foot!

Comments

• Binkie_Huckaback
    Options
    I've read that gay couples can "convert" a civil partnership into a marriage, but straight couples can't. I'm not sure what exactly that means.
    I presume it dates back to the time when homosexuals could not marry but could have a civil partnership. The same didn't apply to hetero couples.

Gays were then able to convert said partnerships to marriage if they wanted to.

Legally, marriage and civil partnership are the same, as far as I know, so it's just semantics, really.
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,061 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 28 January 2020 at 4:33PM
    Options
    If you are not averse to marriage, why not have a simple registry office ceremony now?

You could always have a 'big frock, bells and whistles' blessing/party later, if that floats your boat.

I believe that the opposite sex couple who campaigned for civil partnerships to be extended to all did so because they had some objection to marriage per se - largely because a registry office service still mentions 'husband and wife' instead of 'equal partners'.
  • jbkmum
    jbkmum Posts: 293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thats because, a hetero civil partnership is basically a marriage. Exactly the same legal rights.
    £5000 left to pay on credit cards, down from 40k!!
  • userdefinable
    Options
    If you are not averse to marriage, why not have a simple registry office ceremony now?

You could always have a 'big frock, bells and whistles' blessing/party later, if that floats your boat.

I believe that the opposite sex couple who campaigned for civil partnerships to be extended to all did so because they had some objection to marriage per se - largely because a registry office service still mentions 'husband and wife' instead of 'equal partners'.

I suppose a marriage comes with an expectation to have some kind of celebration. Family situations are tricky at the moment and I'd rather just avoid all that for now for many different reasons!
  • chelseablue
    chelseablue Posts: 3,303 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    As above Id just go to the registry office with a couple of witnesses. Job done :)
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,559 Forumite
    Options
    I suppose a marriage comes with an expectation to have some kind of celebration. Family situations are tricky at the moment and I'd rather just avoid all that for now for many different reasons!

You don't have to tell anyone that you're having an RO marriage - as long as none of your family/friends read the notices.

You can be in and out in no time with no fuss - no need for dressing up or any other ceremonial stuff.

Have a 'do' on an anniversary when life has settled down.
  • onwards&upwards
    Options
    As a straight couple, we're considering having a civil partnership, probably as a temporary measure, with a view to getting married at a later time, maybe in a year or a few years.

Wait, what? Why? That makes no sense at all!
  • onwards&upwards
    Options

Then just have the CP and don’t worry about swapping to a marriage later. Just pick the one that works best for you.
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,061 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    “ I suppose a marriage comes with an expectation to have some kind of celebration. Family situations are tricky at the moment and I'd rather just avoid all that for now for many different reasons!
    Originally posted by userdefinable

A quiet registry office do with a couple of the office clerks as witnesses. You don't even need to tell anyone else until you are ready for a party - far less messy than a civil partnership, especially as all the rules haven't been confirmed yet.
  • Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,754 Forumite
    Options
    largely because a registry office service still mentions 'husband and wife' instead of 'equal partners'.

Aren't they the same thing?
    I suppose a marriage comes with an expectation to have some kind of celebration.

Do what you want. If you don't want family there then don't invite them. It's your day after all.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure