Building Regulation for Flat Roof Replacement

Options

Comments

• Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,834 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    MX5huggy wrote: »
    If you’re looking to sell do a proper job a large flat felt roof would set off alarm bells on future replacement costs, or if still looking newish what other corners have been cut.

As said Building Regulations apply because of Part L.

You're right. That's a lot of flat roof!
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • pred02
    pred02 Posts: 205 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Doozergirl wrote: »
    You're right. That's a lot of flat roof!

No it is not visible from any point and I cannot do it DIY. Don't understand why there is so much negativity towards felt - most roofers that visited the property recommended this.

Regarding selling - the felt roof will come with a 10 year guarantee (I know this is void if roofer goes bankrupt), if I do it with BR sign-off not sure what the roofer can come back with?

I will check to see what other maisonettes on the street have there - I still have the original zinc roof, there is probably one or two other properties that has it as well.

Thanks
  • andrewf75
    andrewf75 Posts: 10,421 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    pred02 wrote: »
    Don't understand why there is so much negativity towards felt - most roofers that visited the property recommended this.

I think it is just seen as very outdated
    I'm no expert as stated before, but did a fair bit of research when getting mine done a few years ago. One thing people told me was that you will get roofers recommending felt because it keeps them in a job.
    Fairly or not it definitely has a negative image. I'd be put off buying a house with a felt flat roof for sure.
  • pred02
    Options
    andrewf75 wrote: »
    I think it is just seen as very outdated
    I'm no expert as stated before, but did a fair bit of research when getting mine done a few years ago. One thing people told me was that you will get roofers recommending felt because it keeps them in a job.
    Fairly or not it definitely has a negative image. I'd be put off buying a house with a felt flat roof for sure.

Did you get an EPDM roof? What price range were you looking at?
  • andrewf75
    andrewf75 Posts: 10,421 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Did you get an EPDM roof? What price range were you looking at?

I did. Honestly can't remember the cost as it was a small part of a large job (extension)

Its not the best looking, but hasn't leaked in 5 years so far despite there being quite a few joins where it goes around a roof lantern. I'd look at other options because of this if doing again, but I think the plus point is it is very easily repaired if it does fail at one of these joints - which inevitably it will one day
  • ric1982
    ric1982 Posts: 222 Forumite
    Options
    andrewf75 wrote: »
    .... One thing people told me was that you will get roofers recommending felt because it keeps them in a job.

Agree with this. One other problem with felt roof is that its difficult to fix it with felt patches as it requires torch. While with EPDM or GRP can be done with DIY as its cold install.
  • pred02
    Options
    Thanks. One thing I am surprised is no one recommended replacement with another metal roof. The current one was likely there for 60+ years
  • Mistral001
    Mistral001 Posts: 5,349 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 29 January 2020 at 4:20PM
    Options
    Thanks. One thing I am surprised is no one recommended replacement with another metal roof. The current one was likely there for 60+ years

I have never seen a zinc metal flat roof. I have seen a galvanised corrugated steel low-pitch roof and a standing seam galvanised roof at a low pitch as well, but nothing in steel that is on a flat roof (with nominal fall).

I take your point about longevity of a steel roof though. I have an out building with a low pitch roof with corrugated steel on it. It is over sixty years old. It requires painting about every 10 or 15 years. I could see it lasting another 60 years if the timbers hold out that long.
  • MX5huggy
    MX5huggy Posts: 6,855 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    When you say maisonette, does that mean there’s a property below? Are you a leaseholder or freeholder? If you’re a leaseholder, fixing the roof is not normally your responsibility. The freeholder does it can charges all the leaseholders a proportion of the cost. Even those that don’t have a roof have to pay as they benefit from the roof.
  • pred02
    Options
    MX5huggy wrote: »
    When you say maisonette, does that mean there’s a property below? Are you a leaseholder or freeholder? If you’re a leaseholder, fixing the roof is not normally your responsibility. The freeholder does it can charges all the leaseholders a proportion of the cost. Even those that don’t have a roof have to pay as they benefit from the roof.

I own a share of freehold. The lease is written in a way that I am responsible for the roof coverings, the flat downstairs is unfortunately not.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure