Change supplier with debt

Options

Comments

• Vegastare
    Vegastare Posts: 998 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Are you eligible for EDF Energy Support Fund.
  • Azareef
    Azareef Posts: 19 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Yes I'm now on a pay as I go meter I wasn't originally thats how I ended up in so much debt.
    I'd like to know why the allow people to get in such a mess maybe because they are greedy

And no I'm in full time work and earn too much apparently so won't get any help
  • Gerry1
    Gerry1 Posts: 9,938 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Might be worth settling the balance with a credit card, shifting the debt with a 0% transfer and moving to a much more competitive energy supplier on a credit tariff.

Not without its risks of course if you don't manage to repay it in full before the 0% period ends, and of course you'll also have to pay the new supplier's DDs in full as well. Only you can tell whether this route would be sensible or stupid.

As always, you need to take frequent meter readings and make sure there's nothing that inflates your bills, e.g. immersion and storage heaters on full rate, E7 registers swapped over, using instantaneous electric showers etc.

How did you get into this mess, and are you now on a proper footing?
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,649 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    Vegastare wrote: »
    Are you eligible for EDF Energy Support Fund.

Worth a punt - you just have to be struggling to pay.

https://www.edfenergy.com/for-home/help-centre/faq/can-i-get-grant-help-me-pay-my-energy
  • Streaky_Bacon
    Options
    It's worth reviewing the history of your account with EDF to make sure that they have properly managed the account, including whether, if you had a fixed tariff, that they moved you onto the cheapest tariff when the fixed term ended.

With regards to moving onto the cheapest tariff now, what reason have they given for blocking this?

Have you tried to switch your tariff through the online account?

https://my.edfenergy.com/user/login?destination=myaccount/update-tariff

If there is a valid tariff and they refuse to move you onto it, you should raise a formal written complaint to them.

I would also think that a complaint about how they have managed the debt on your account, and how they have assisted you should be raised. This should include a demand that they review the tariffs that you have been placed on.

Finally, although other posters have rightly suggested that getting the account over to you partner has hurdles, the important thing is that you do what you need to do, to prevent the debt getting bigger.

That may well involve getting your partner to open an account, and then agreeing a payment plan with EDF.

If it got to that stage then EDF would have to show that they were treating you fairly, and would have to explain why they would not agree to a reasonable repayment plan.

It is unfortunately one of those situation where being in debt makes everything cost me, which shouldn't be the case.
  • welshmoneylover
    Options
    £3000 is a heck of a lot of debt and sounds like you didn’t make payments for years! A pay go meter is your best option to pay it back.
    Be happy, it's the greatest wealth :)
  • MWT
    MWT Posts: 9,276 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    £3000 is a heck of a lot of debt and sounds like you didn’t make payments for years! A pay go meter is your best option to pay it back.

Depends on individual circumstances of course, but I'm not at all sure that it is the best way to pay it back as it leaves you trapped on high tariffs and unable to change for a long time while the debt is being worked down.

If there is any possibility to transfer the debt to a cheap (.. or free) 'loan' it would make it easier to reduce the energy costs immediately and free up more cash to speed up the repayment of the loan.
  • Azareef
    Azareef Posts: 19 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Sorry for the delay in replying. So I don't know if we have done the right thing. But my partner has applied for bulb moving in to a new home with them. They have accepted and given a date and EDF have emailed to say they are sorry to hear I am leaving them. Of all is well and my parent gets the bulb account. Can EDF really request I pay the amount owed in full I don't have that sort of money to give out surely they must be able to accept a payment plan ?
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,131 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Azareef wrote: »
    ……………………. Can EDF really request I pay the amount owed in full I don't have that sort of money to give out surely they must be able to accept a payment plan ?

You're about to find out. Don't be surprised if Edf block the switch.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • Gerry1
    Gerry1 Posts: 9,938 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Azareef wrote: »
    But my partner has applied for bulb moving in to a new home with them. Of all is well and my parent gets the bulb account.
    Your partner is your parent??? wow.gif
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport