Change supplier with debt

Options
Azareef
Azareef Posts: 19 Forumite
First Post
Hi, I'm really struggling at the moment with all the bills being so high I'm trying to get the cheapest rates I can but I'm in debt with my energy supplier and they won't let me change to a cheaper company or Tariff, can my partner take out a new supplier in there name and I just continue to pay the outstanding balance every month?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,114 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Your partner can - but you will get a final bill from the present supplier which will have to be paid in full.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • RelievedSheff
    RelievedSheff Posts: 11,356 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Does your current supplier not have a cheaper tariff you can go onto?

They should not stop you changing tariff to a cheaper one.
  • Benight
    Benight Posts: 418 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Azareef wrote: »
    Hi, I'm really struggling at the moment with all the bills being so high I'm trying to get the cheapest rates I can but I'm in debt with my energy supplier and they won't let me change to a cheaper company or Tariff, can my partner take out a new supplier in there name and I just continue to pay the outstanding balance every month?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Why won't the supplier allow you to transfer to a cheaper tariff available from them? :huh:
  • Streaky_Bacon
    Options
    As RelievedSheff says your supplier should not be blocking you from moving to a new tariff with them.

Who is your supplier, what tariff are you on and, if it is a fixed tariff, when did the tariff start?

It may make sense to have your partner open a new account with a new supplier, and then agree to a payment plan with the old supplier.

How much do you owe?
  • Benight
    First Post
    Options

It may make sense to have your partner open a new account with a new supplier, and then agree to a payment plan with the old supplier.

That's not the way it works for those in debt (as opposed to debit) with their energy supplier.

Any attempt to switch supplier by the OP, or anyone else, will likely to be blocked whilst the OP is in debt to the supplier.

What would have to happen is for the OP to say they are moving from the property, and so request to close the account.

As Robin9 has already pointed out, if that happened then the OP would receive a final bill that would need repaying in full. There's no guarantee the supplier would be willing to set ap a repayment plan once the OP is no longer their customer. The OP already has a repayment plan with the supplier, as they are a current customer.

But probably the supplier will smell a rat, as it seems the OP plans to remain in the property with their partner who also presumably currently resides there, and so the application to set up a new account in the name of the partner with the current supplier will probably fail.
  • Azareef
    First Post
    Options
    Thank you for all the replies, my supplier is EDF and they tell me I can't change tariff, unfortunately I owe around £3000+. They had me on a monthly bill that I just couldn't afford it was a long time ago and I'm trying to sort my financial situation out.
  • Benight
    First Post
    Options
    Azareef wrote: »
    Thank you for all the replies, my supplier is EDF and they tell me I can't change tariff, unfortunately I owe around £3000+. They had me on a monthly bill that I just couldn't afford it was a long time ago and I'm trying to sort my financial situation out.

Why won't the supplier allow you to transfer to a cheaper tariff available from them? :huh:
  • Robin9
    Options
    What tariff are you on and what is your actual (in kwh) annual consumption.

£3000 is a lot .
  • Azareef
    First Post
    Options
    I agree £3000 is alot, it's for both gas and electric. I think the electric is £1900. I've been paying it off for 5+ years. I'm not sure what my consumption is I'll check when I get home
  • Robin9
    Options
    The meter readers on this forum will probably be able to advise but I assume that the debt is being paid by PAYG and that is why any transfer will be blocked.. With that size of debt on top of your usual no winder you are struggling.

I wonder why suppliers let this debt build up.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport