edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in MoneySaving Mums
22 replies 1.3K views

Replies

• CmkrdCmkrd Forumite
    1 Post
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Nappies & wipes are a great start. Other things to consider:
    - Separate set of wipes for hands / face (I love grovia, softest line dry ones I’ve found)
    - cloth kitchen ‘paper’ towels
    - secondhand everything. I always look secondhand first, they’re either wearing or playing with things for a hot second!
    - ethical wooden toys - all things eco I love babipur as a shop. They also have a great FB hangout group with ethically minded families. wooden toys also tend to be more open ended and last a lot longer in play value plus keep some resale worth
    - batch cook your own puree’s. I also got secondhand some refillable squeeze pouches (like the posh yoghurts for kids), brilliant way to keep mess to a minimum when eating out but not need single use plastic. 
    Congratulations & enjoy. It’s a blast!! 

• AmberPickAmberPick Forumite
    17 Posts
    10 Posts
    Hello, thank you for a good question. The biggest problem was gifts from friends and relatives. A lot of identical and unnecessary toys, blankets, clothes that we don't use. So we agreed with them there would be no more of that, and when our second son was born, they asked us what we needed. 
  • TomokoAdhamiTomokoAdhami Forumite
    148 Posts
    100 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    I think you can include breastfeeding, organic food, charity, fewer paper toilets and wipes in your list. 
  • SiebrieSiebrie Forumite
    2.1K Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tell people that you are happy to accept secondhand; I now have a few mothers from dds' classmates who give us bags of clothes that they get from family members. It's all really nice stuff, and we pass it on if we don't like it or after dds have outgrown it. Especially when children are older, other people are hesitant to pass on clothes, I have found; they are afraid you will be insulted or that you think that they will think you are poor.
    Wombling in Restrictive Times (2021) € 267,60 = £ 231.15
    Wombabeluba 2020! € 453,22 = £ 403.84
    2019's wi-wa-wombles € 2.244,20 = £ 1,909.46
    Wombling to wealth 2018 € 972,97 = £ 879.54
    Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7.116,68 = £ 6,309.50
    Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.484,31 = £ 3,104.59
  • SapindusSapindus Forumite
    78 Posts
    10 Posts
    I bought loads of second hand stuff and sold on things we had grown out of of or never even used, at NCT nearly new sales.  Made lots of good friends through NCT as well.
  • edited 9 April at 11:01AM
    Bluegreen143Bluegreen143 Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    edited 9 April at 11:01AM
    Not buying anything you don’t need - eco friendly products are OK but it’s better not to buy at all. 

If it’s your second child you already know that babies don’t actually need toys (can chew on older sib’s blocks/cars etc or safe household items). Books can be had from the library, Covid-permitting. 

An awful lot of the gumph they sell for babies is totally unnecessary. 

For me, that includes things like infant seats/swings (don’t flame me, I know some people love them and that’s fine!). My babies liked being on a blanket on the floor or held by an adult. 

If you have a reclining bath seat (I think more useful than a baby bath) to wash them in the big bath you can also use this on the floor as a general seat to prop them up to see things (though the most eco friendly or minimalist thing is to bathe in the sink, but if you are getting a bath seat anyway then make good use of it instead of also buying a bouncer!). Of course your child won’t be strapped in to the bath seat like they would in a bouncer, so you’ll need to supervise.

Do you need a huge big plastic travel system? If I’m ever lucky enough to have a third child (not an eco friendly choice but I would love it, if husband ever agreed which is unlikely 😆) I would probably not bother and carry in a sling until 6-8 months then get a lightweight (second hand) folding stroller. Both my kids preferred being carried so tbh the big pram probably wasn’t necessary. Of course you may have a pram still from before or you may have a very small age gap and not being able to cope without one - everyone is different.

Clothes-wise, you can get everything second hand which is obviously better for the environment, and you might have hand me downs downs from the elder child.

Feeding - always feeding direct from the breast without pumps or bottles obviously cuts out a lot of plastic needs. If you are mainly breastfeeding and just wanting the odd bottle for a break then you don’t need a full set of bottles, sterilisers, electric pump etc- a hand pump, 1-2x bottles and boiling them to sterilise would work fine. If you are bottle feeding you obviously need more.

Re baby food, just giving normal food whether cut appropriately or mashed up (I only did baby led weaning aka solid stuff with eldest, youngest I did a mix of our food mashed up which she spoon fed herself, plus always giving her finger stuff to hold too, as she very much preferred mashed textures). And obviously avoiding pouches as much as possible as like any single use packaging they aren’t the best. If you do like to do the puree/mashed route you can buy reusable pouches you fill yourself which would be much better environmentally.

Cloth wipes & nappies you mentioned - I admit I did use these but always had disposables on hand too so we kind of part time did cloth (50% with eldest, 80% of the time with youngest). Controversial to some, but I’m a huge believer in early potty training which then negates the need for nappies - between 21 and 24 months has been the sweet spot for both my kids - please don’t flame me if you believe in a very child-led approach with this as I totally respect we all parent differently (I have been very aggressively told off on parenting groups about this topic!). I’m not suggesting everyone parents the same way as me, simply mentioning it as an option people can take or leave. I used the oh crap potty training method which is very respectful and non coercive.

One thing that was NOT eco friendly with my second is I found myself driving everywhere because she was so colicky and I felt very anxious walking in case I got stuck far from home with a screaming baby + 3yo and not able to get home quickly. It was a bit of a psychological crutch I had to wean off. So that wasn’t so good! But hopefully offset by the other stuff I did and now she’s 2 and quite happy to go in the pushchair or walk along with us.
    SAVINGS
    E fund: £1,857.57/£2,000
    Car: £223 / Home: £50 / Gifts & celebrations: £234.51 / Help to save: £500
    MORTGAGE
    Original end date: Dec 2049
    Balance
    Feb 21: £112,843 / Mar 21: £112,595
    BOOKS READ 2021:16/52
    LOSE 21lb IN 2021: 7/21lb

PT working mum to DS5 & DD2, married for 7y and lover of all things frugal and minimalist
    My mortgage free & frugal living diary
  • Bluegreen143Bluegreen143 Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Just seen this is a slightly older post! Have you had your baby yet? 
    SAVINGS
    E fund: £1,857.57/£2,000
    Car: £223 / Home: £50 / Gifts & celebrations: £234.51 / Help to save: £500
    MORTGAGE
    Original end date: Dec 2049
    Balance
    Feb 21: £112,843 / Mar 21: £112,595
    BOOKS READ 2021:16/52
    LOSE 21lb IN 2021: 7/21lb

PT working mum to DS5 & DD2, married for 7y and lover of all things frugal and minimalist
    My mortgage free & frugal living diary
  • JGB1955JGB1955 Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    If you're thinking of 'baby wearing', how about looking for a local sling library?
    #2 Saving for Christmas 2021 - £1 a day challenge £650/£638.
    #36 Saving for Christmas 2020 - £1 a day challenge.... £634/£366..
  • Clouds88Clouds88 Forumite
    365 Posts
    Third Anniversary 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    Totally agree with your post blue green. 

A lot of people think I'm mad that I'm not buying a travel system for my third on the way. Sling lover here.

• Mickey666Mickey666 Forumite
    2.8K Posts
    1,000 Posts Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Clouds88 said:
    Totally agree with your post blue green. 

A lot of people think I'm mad that I'm not buying a travel system for my third on the way. Sling lover here.

Someone talking about their THIRD child on a thread about 'eco-friendly pregnancy' . . . . oh the irony!