New Post Advanced Search

Welcome to the new MSE Forum!

If you were registered on the old Forum BEFORE 6th February 2020, you will need to reset your password (here) before you are able to log in. When you've reset your password, you can close this message with the 'X' in the top-right corner to make it disappear. If you need any help getting started, click here.

EE Scam

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Praise, Vent & Warnings
34 replies 1.8K views
Cash_in_the_atticCash_in_the_attic
5 posts
Forumite MoneySaving Newbie
edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Praise, Vent & Warnings
Hi All,
Just had a text supposedly from EE asking me to log into my account due to EE being unable to procees latest bill.
Rang EE and they confirmed it was a scam.
Take care do not open any links.

Replies

• TadleyBaggieTadleyBaggie
    3.7K posts
    Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Where is that grandma sucking eggs emoji when you need it?
  • MoglexMoglex
    1.6K posts
    Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Where is that grandma sucking eggs emoji when you need it?

What a ridiculous comment.

This is the Praise Vents & Warnings forum.

It's the exact right place for warnings (the clue is in the title).

I'm sure this forum gets a good turnover of readers, so no genuine scam warning is pointless.

Wonders how many idiots will thank TadleyBaggie for his 'useful' post.
  • TadleyBaggieTadleyBaggie
    3.7K posts
    Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Moglex wrote: »

It wasn't when the post and my comment was made...
  • TakmonTakmon
    1.1K posts
    Forumite
    1000 Posts First Anniversary
    ✭✭✭
    Moglex wrote: »
    What a ridiculous comment.

It's the exact right place for warnings (the clue is in the title).

I'm sure this forum gets a good turnover of readers, so no genuine scam warning is pointless.

Wonders how many idiots will thank TadleyBaggie for his 'useful' post.

Imagine if someone posted on here everytime they got a scam text, call, email etc the forum would be overrun with constant posts.

If people are still silly enough to fall for these kinds of things then no number of additional warnings will help them...
  • DoaMDoaM
    9.1K posts
    Forumite
    5000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭

Indeed it wasn't, it was on the Phones & TV Board and was moved here by a board guide. :)
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
  • MoglexMoglex
    1.6K posts
    Forumite
    ✭✭✭
    Takmon wrote: »
    Imagine if someone posted on here everytime they got a scam text, call, email etc the forum would be overrun with constant posts.

If people are still silly enough to fall for these kinds of things then no number of additional warnings will help them...

Your points would make some sense if people kept creating threads for the same scams.

However, these scammers send out batches of their crud, baiting with different companies and organisations.

Obviously, in an ideal world, everybody would exercise the utmost diligence with every email they received.

If you find such warnings annoying or pointless, simply don't open the threads - they are usually fairly clearly labelled.

In the real world, however, people don't, and it can be useful if people get a heads up when the scammers move to a new 'bait' organisation or company.
  • MoglexMoglex
    1.6K posts
    Forumite
    ✭✭✭

It'e probably best if you just report threads like this, in the wrong forum, to the mods, so that they can be moved.

If you don't you can end up looking like a bit of a prat.

Fortunately, in this case I responded to your post so people got to see an explanation of how your post got here, but that would not always be the case.
  • BillTracBillTrac
    1.8K posts
    Forumite
    ✭✭✭
    FFS, I received the same message last week.I get monthly emails from EE saying my bill is available to view. Because it didn't form part of my regular EE messages I immediately assumed it was a scam.

Anyone with an ounce of common sense would think the same.

It's not even a good quality scam
  • MoglexMoglex
    1.6K posts
    Forumite
    ✭✭✭
    BillTrac wrote: »
    FFS, I received the same message last week.I get monthly emails from EE saying my bill is available to view. Because it didn't form part of my regular EE messages I immediately assumed it was a scam.

Well, aren't you just wonderful? :beer:

I'm sure that any of the poor !!!!!!s who get scammed because they do not have your achingly high level of intelligence will bow down before you, and not be in the least vexed because people stopped issue warning to alleviate your suffering when reading what you find obvious.

(Of course, they might wonder why someone of such vaulted intelligence didn't simply not open a thread that was obviously so far beneath him, but, hey-ho)
    Anyone with an ounce of common sense would think the same.

Nice that we have the ultimate arbiter of what people with common sense will think, right here on the forum.

Be sure to stick around and enlighten us further as the mood takes you.

It's not even a good quality scam

They very rarely are.

People still get scammed.
  • ShelldeanShelldean
    2.2K posts
    Forumite
    ✭✭✭✭
    OH and I both received this text.......Might've believed it had we actually been with EE!! LOL LOL