We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

How long do refunds take for switchers?

Options
kuepper
kuepper Posts: 1,367 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
My switch (Tonik>E.on)completed 24 days ago and I had £57 credit with Tonik.

I asked Tonik when I'd be refunded and they said when they received confirmed final readings from E.on. (this was a mystery to me anyway, I have a smart meter so surely they know what my readings were at any time) .

Contacted E.on who said they sent the readings to Tonik 24 days ago. I told them Tonik had said they were waiting to receive them from E.on so I asked E.on to re-send them. The answer was 'no', Tonik would have to put in a 'lost reading request' to E.on for the.

Contacted Tonik again and repeated what E.on had told me. Tonik said they have to wait 30 days to receive the final reading before they can ask for it again,

What an industry. Is this the normal protocol?

Comments

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,042 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    There is no protocol that is obeyed.

Many posts on this subject over the years. I got a full accurate refund in my bank from OVO in days.

Others have reported many months and even after a' battle royal' still not had a result. One company blames the other and vice versa.
  • cranford
    cranford Posts: 797 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    New rules came in in May 2019.
    Customers will be entitled to a £30 payment if their previous supplier is late in refunding them their credit balance after they have switched.
    By late it means 10 working days after the Final bill and I think its another £30 if it another 10 working days.
    The rub is that the Final bill can be 6 weeks after the switch, so in your case you can wait another 28 days before penalties kick in.
  • Essmum
    Essmum Posts: 91 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Final bill can take up to 6 weeks and then 10 working days for the refund to be paid.
    It shouldn't take that long but if they havent received the closing reads than it can take a while.
  • Gerry1
    Gerry1 Posts: 9,946 Forumite
    Options
    Haven't Ofgem just kicked it into the long grass yet again, until Spring 2020? facepalm_32.png

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/publications-and-updates/supplier-guaranteed-standards-performance-switching-consultation-introduction-further-guaranteed-standards-and-automatic-compensation

AFAIK you get compo if repayment is late after the final bill is issued, but there's still no sanction if the final bill itself is late.

Truly Catch-22.
  • kuepper
    kuepper Posts: 1,367 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I can imagine if I'd been in arrears a final bill would have been prepared pretty quickly
  • Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Options
    kuepper wrote: »
    My switch (Tonik>E.on)completed 24 days ago and I had £57 credit with Tonik.

I asked Tonik when I'd be refunded and they said when they received confirmed final readings from E.on. (this was a mystery to me anyway, I have a smart meter so surely they know what my readings were at any time) .

Contacted E.on who said they sent the readings to Tonik 24 days ago. I told them Tonik had said they were waiting to receive them from E.on so I asked E.on to re-send them. The answer was 'no', Tonik would have to put in a 'lost reading request' to E.on for the.

Contacted Tonik again and repeated what E.on had told me. Tonik said they have to wait 30 days to receive the final reading before they can ask for it again,

What an industry. Is this the normal protocol?

Hello kuepper and many thanks for joining us.

As the gaining supplier, it's our responsibility to send the readings we use to open our account to your former supplier. They use the same readings to close their account and issue a final bill. This stops the same energy from being charged twice.

These readings are sent by electronic messaging and go via a third party within the industry (Data Collector) who checks they're in line with past readings held for the property. Sometimes the Data Collector makes a change and both suppliers need to use the amended readings to open/close their respective accounts.

Switches complete in about two and half weeks. This will be the Supply Start Date (SSD). After this, information continues to be passed between us, your old supplier and industry third parties including the Data Collector. All this usually goes through within 42 calendar days of the SSD, often earlier. Neither supplier can start chasing until after this time.

Thanks again for switching to us kuepper and sorry I can't give you more positive information.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport