The 'How much should you save for your child to go to university?' calc

Options
13»

Comments

• silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 47,007 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    You should consider the loan a graduate tax. Unless your offspring are destined for a very high earning career, it makes little sense to not take the loan as 83% of people never clear their loans in full.
    If you are determined to pay up front, your looking at least £45k ( 3 years of tuition fees at £9k plus maintenance of £6k)
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    silvercar said:
    You should consider the loan a graduate tax. Unless your offspring are destined for a very high earning career, it makes little sense to not take the loan as 83% of people never clear their loans in full.
    If you are determined to pay up front, your looking at least £45k ( 3 years of tuition fees at £9k plus maintenance of £6k)
     I think you'd be  looking at  saving for a maintainance  loan of even more. £6K is the cost of my Nephew's rent. My son'swas £5K last year and they're both in cheap areas of the country. If you're wanting to save in advance and not do a parental contribution at the time or assume child will find a job, that'll have to be taken into account. Though I agree with you that it would make no sense to do this.
  • silvercar
    Options
    Spendless said:
    silvercar said:
     I think you'd be  looking at  saving for a maintainance  loan of even more. £6K is the cost of my Nephew's rent. My son'swas £5K last year and they're both in cheap areas of the country. If you're wanting to save in advance and not do a parental contribution at the time or assume child will find a job, that'll have to be taken into account. Though I agree with you that it would make no sense to do this.
    Not disagreeing with you at all. My guess of 6k maintenance was very rough and also to round off the figures. Possibly living at home and commuting to university may make this possible. Of living somewhere particularly cheap or grotty.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • PingPong1801
    Options
    I really need help. Daughter has applied for student finance and we as parents have filled in the support forms. We had calculated using Martin's calculator, inputting husband's salary less pension contributions. But the application asked for gross figures and so daughter's loan is almost £1000 less than Martin's calculator had worked out. Martin's calculator states it's less pension contributions, but this now doesn't appear to be the case? Can anyone help please?
  • TwinLizzy
    TwinLizzy Posts: 31 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Can you deduct Gift Aid contributions as well as pension before giving the household income?
  • GuineaPig37
    Options
    Hi,
    I need to make a contribution towards my child's maintenance loan. MSE Forum contributors say that this is not tax exempt. If I needed to make a payment in excess of £3000 (the gift threshold for tax), what would happen?
    I think that I can just pay a bill for my child instead but I'm interested in how this is all supposed to work.
  • silvercar
    Options
    Hi,
    I need to make a contribution towards my child's maintenance loan. MSE Forum contributors say that this is not tax exempt. If I needed to make a payment in excess of £3000 (the gift threshold for tax), what would happen?
    I think that I can just pay a bill for my child instead but I'm interested in how this is all supposed to work.
    No tax on gifts in this country. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback