Forum Home» Budgeting & Bank Accounts

Paying in cheques but no bank account.

New Post Advanced Search
We are currently experiencing a high volume of spam and have increased the sensitivity of our spam filters. This could mean that genuine posts may get caught. If you believe this has happened to one of your posts, please email the Forum team on [email protected] As always, we are really grateful for your patience whilst we get this sorted - which we'll do as soon as possible.
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Paying in cheques but no bank account.

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Budgeting & Bank Accounts
20 replies 1K views
jackywackyjackywacky Forumite
76 posts
Ninth Anniversary 10 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Budgeting & Bank Accounts
My daughter has cognitive behaviour problems and is easily lead by others and she allowed others to fraudulently use her accounts resulting in them being closed and now when she tries to open a new account unsurprisingly she is refused. I suppose that’s being called blacklisted?
She now has three cheques in her name that she needs to pay in somewhere. Is there any other sort of account she can open if she has been blacklisted?
Thanks

Replies

• edited 20 January at 2:02PM
    elsienelsien Forumite
    23.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 20 January at 2:02PM
    Has she tried to get a basic bank account, although this may still be turned down. She will have a CIFAS marker on the account which isn't quite the same as being blacklisted.
    Any one accepting money from her also needs to be careful as if she's trying to pay dodgy money into other people's accounts they may end up in a similar situation.

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/saving/article-6367319/Can-open-new-bank-account-shut-fraud.html

Who has sent the cheques and is it possible to get the money another way? She could also use one of the high street cheque cashing services but they will charge accordingly.
  • edited 20 January at 2:43PM
    76 posts
    edited 20 January at 2:43PM
    So it's called a CIFAS marker thanks for that:)
    Last week she applied online for an ordinary Co-Op current account but today she got a letter saying she had been refused :sad:

That link looks very useful and I'm going to study it in more depth but a quick look does seem to be that she was used as a mule.

If the cheques were from private individuals I'd ask them to rewrite them but one cheque has come from Revolut Bank and two have come from a crime victim support agency, total value approx £100.
    I would say to get them altered wouldn't be easy.

Do CIFAS markers apply to savings accounts maybe she could open one of them?
  • 18cc18cc Forumite
    2.1K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    One of the NS&I accounts allow payment in by cheque I have forgotten which one so you could try opening one of those

the other alternative as you say may well be a building society savings account or even a post office easy access savings account.
  • edited 14 February at 12:24PM
    76 posts
    edited 14 February at 12:24PM
    Had a webchat with NSandI and unfortunately they no longer have accounts that allow the paying in of cheques.
    My daughter tried to open a Post Office savings account and was declined.
    Can anyone think of other accounts that might be a worth a go?
    Although we know she has done fraudulent things no one has actually said that's why they won't open accounts she just gets a polite no. Is there a way of finding out for certain it is a CIFAS marker, how long it will last or whether it can be appealed?
    Thanks
  • eskbankereskbanker Forumite
    15.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is there a way of finding out for certain it is a CIFAS marker, how long it will last or whether it can be appealed?
    You can find out what's held at CIFAS via https://www.cifas.org.uk/contact-us/subject-access-request, which also explains how to dispute anything that's inaccurate....
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • xylophonexylophone Forumite
    35.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Has she tried a local building society for a savings account?
  • Old_LiferOld_Lifer Forumite
    512 posts
    500 Posts Second Anniversary
    ✭✭
     I agree with xylophone .  I received a cheque a couple of weeks ago and as I was going to the building society anyway,  I paid it into my building society savings account  while there.  As long as the cheque is payable  to the account holder it should not be a problem.
  • jackywackyjackywacky Forumite
    76 posts
    xylophone said:
    Has she tried a local building society for a savings account?

First Thank you eskbanker for the link :)

xylophone sorry if this sounds a silly question but do you mean local as the nearest building society to where we live which could the big names? because being in London we don't tend to have smaller building societies set up originally to serve local areas as an example Monmouth.

• colstencolsten Forumite
    14.9K posts
    10,000 Posts Sixth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you can't find a suitable Building Society, you could try a Credit Union. There are several in different parts of London. Though I don't know whether and how they handle cheques.
  • edited 14 February at 6:41PM
    ThrugelmirThrugelmir Forumite
    75K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 14 February at 6:41PM
    Nationwide or Leeds might be an option for a BS savings account. 
    “Buy value, not market trends or the economic outlook. Individual stocks determine the market, not vica versa." - Sir John Templeton