Options
    Is this about Mumsnet?
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    waamo wrote: »
    Is this about Mumsnet?

Joke? Or have they lost their mollycoddling ways (I don't use it so genuine question!)?

Some sites take censorship too far, others don't go far enough. If the server is in the USA then good luck OP - they take free speech a little too literally.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Joke? Or have they lost their mollycoddling ways (I don't use it so genuine question!)?

I have a very warped sense of humour. I have (in all honesty) put that I want the song "Disco Inferno" as I'm lowered into the final flames.
  • boo_star
    boo_star Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    In future you should refrain from commenting and giving advice on legal topic until you've got a basic understanding of what is and isn't an offence.

As you should too.

It's such a gray area that it really shouldn't be dealt with by the criminal courts, who are ill-equipped to deal with matters like this.

It's essentially "my feeling were hurt" which is an utterly disgusting standard for a prosecution to take place.
  • reason2
    reason2 Posts: 362 Forumite
    Options
    Being offended on others behalf doesn't give you any rights.

We need to stop this mindset where if we choose to be offended we assume we have rights.
    You dont. If you dont like something, dont read it, watch it or listen to it. Move on and let other people make their own minds up.
    Its so tiring and boring now how we are expected to pander to those minority of people who find outrage in anything
  • ToxicWomble
    Options
    ^^^^^^ Well said !!!!!
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    waamo wrote: »
    I have a very warped sense of humour. I have (in all honesty) put that I want the song "Disco Inferno" as I'm lowered into the final flames.

I have (seriously) said I want Highway To Hell. :D
  • societys_child
    Options
    DF345 wrote: »
    Thank you all. Yes, true but it's been going on for years. Some of them know each other but I've never met anyone, or spoken to them on the phone or e-mails, etc other than the person that owns it, runs it. The site is toxic. My concerns are that people happening to stumble across this site may be encouraged to make similar, nasty comments there but worse make those types of comments on other forums and real life.
    Why do you go there if you don't like the site. Move on fgs

Honestly, from what you say, you'll find far worse sites all over the world, and far worse in the US. Don't look too closely at some UK sites . . .

or facebook :eek:
  • Shaun_of_the_Dead
    Options
    boo_star wrote: »
    As you should too.

It's such a gray area that it really shouldn't be dealt with by the criminal courts, who are ill-equipped to deal with matters like this.

It's essentially "my feeling were hurt" which is an utterly disgusting standard for a prosecution to take place.

Who mentioned prosecution? I responded to a comment saying the only crime committed online would be a threat of violence. In this day and age hurt feelings are covered by hate crime if there's reference to a protected characteristic. Even if there is no crime and simply a case of hurt feelings it's recoded on the crime figures as a hate incident.

No grey area it's black and white.
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Bring to mind the Flight of the Cochords song, " Tears of a rapper( hurt feelings)".
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure