Removing nasty comments from a website

Options

Comments

• CakeCrusader
    Options
    In future you should refrain from commenting and giving advice on legal topic until you've got a basic understanding of what is and isn't an offence.

Ha! Maybe you should think that the person you're speaking to actually might work in this area and has a fair bit of knowledge of the law.
  • Shaun_of_the_Dead
    Options
    Ha! Maybe you should think that the person you're speaking to actually might work in this area and has a fair bit of knowledge of the law.

Who's that then cause it's not you.
  • CakeCrusader
    Options
    Who's that then cause it's not you.

So how much experience do you have? If you look at the case law, there's very, very little. Doesn't that tell you that only a tiny handful of cases have every been prosecuted?

I have stuff to do so I'll leave you here.
  • Shaun_of_the_Dead
    Options
    So how much experience do you have? If you look at the case law, there's very, very little. Doesn't that tell you that only a tiny handful of cases have every been prosecuted?

I have stuff to do so I'll leave you here.

More than you.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Forgetting the spat going on here between forum members :)

OP

I’m not getting at you personally but nowadays we have too many people getting offended for other people or blowing things out of proportion. If what is being said on this site is so bad for you then go to the police about it or seek actual legal advice. Depending on what they say then you can weight up the pros and cons and then take your next step.
  • Takmon
    Takmon Posts: 1,738 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    DF345 wrote: »
    I posted about my tenancy situation on a website that has a small forum with about 5/7 regular posters. A couple of them continuously post so-called racist and homophobic "jokes."
    I find them offensive and told them so and they said to me, "you can say that to me."
    The site owner, manager does not want to know as they are getting hits I guess the more posts they get.
    What can I do to have this content removed. They do not name anyone just general comments making fun of situations as mentioned above and quiet nasty to each other using those derogatory terms, words.
    Yes, I could do nothing but I don't feel comfortable about that. Thanks,

Why should the comments be removed?. I've seen some truly disgusting comments made online but I don't think they should ever be removed unless they specifically relate to individuals who are named or referenced.

Comments made by anonymous posters never offend me and people are far too easily offended these days. You will live a much happier life if you learn to just ignore these kinds of comments made online which are not even aimed at you specifically.

The internet is a good place for people to vent and say what they are truly thinking and if they aren't threatening anyone or inciting any kind of action I don't see why it's a problem.
  • DF345
    DF345 Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you all.

All posters on the site use pseudonyms, but one claims it's his real name but I can only take that at face value, that is the first name which is quiet common.

The comments are very nasty and foolishly as they have been there for years, people get to learn about the others background via e-mails, phone calls etc. One is a Pakistani manand often abused on racists grounds if they have a disagreement, EG, "f off you p@@@ ... @@@"

Another is LBGT and often homophobic comments are made by 3/4 posters and they refer to the man as a pedophile using the derogatory word for it that starts N- - - -E.

Then there are a mass of sexiest comments and more recently, many anti semitic comments.

A couple of them often refer to posters as "Harvey Weinstei" when they disagree with something.

Some laugh it off others argue but the owner at times joins in.

My fear is that there are more and more sites like this and do show up in searches and many that are feeble minded may gradually feel this is 'normal behavior' which it is not.

Most of them appear to known each other for years through the hey days of forums.

How can I get them to withdraw the nasty comments, posts? It's not worth contacting the police as they rarely accuse a real life named person of anything other than possibly lie about Prince Andrew.

Someone said contact their host/provider, I feel they won't do anything.

Is there a site monitoring organisation other than the police here that could help or a group from LBGT, or others groups they often make offensive comments about indirectly.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    What country is the site based in?
  • DF345
    DF345 Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    England and server is USA, i think.
  • Shaun_of_the_Dead
    Options
    DF345 wrote: »
    Thank you all.

All posters on the site use pseudonyms, but one claims it's his real name but I can only take that at face value, that is the first name which is quiet common.

The comments are very nasty and foolishly as they have been there for years, people get to learn about the others background via e-mails, phone calls etc. One is a Pakistani manand often abused on racists grounds if they have a disagreement, EG, "f off you p@@@ ... @@@"

Another is LBGT and often homophobic comments are made by 3/4 posters and they refer to the man as a pedophile using the derogatory word for it that starts N- - - -E.

Then there are a mass of sexiest comments and more recently, many anti semitic comments.

A couple of them often refer to posters as "Harvey Weinstei" when they disagree with something.

Some laugh it off others argue but the owner at times joins in.

My fear is that there are more and more sites like this and do show up in searches and many that are feeble minded may gradually feel this is 'normal behavior' which it is not.

Most of them appear to known each other for years through the hey days of forums.

How can I get them to withdraw the nasty comments, posts? It's not worth contacting the police as they rarely accuse a real life named person of anything other than possibly lie about Prince Andrew.

Someone said contact their host/provider, I feel they won't do anything.

Is there a site monitoring organisation other than the police here that could help or a group from LBGT, or others groups they often make offensive comments about indirectly.

When have the police lied about Prince Andrew?

If the worst that's been said is !!!!!! and it deeply offended you, then maybe you should visit the site again.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure