Options

Comments

• born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,613 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Ben8282 wrote: »
    M
    This really is very odd though as it is difficult to understand what a fraudster could have done with 40 separate take-aways on one day. 40 different purchases of goods from retail shops would make sense but 40 take-aways?

More than possible that this is not one fraudster using the card details. Or that it is a delivery driver doing it to boost their takings. As well as feeding the family. Or a party....

We keep having this argument with our security team, who seem to think that it is perfectly normal for someone to order multiple items via just eat (other delivery co's are available and just as popular with fraudsters)
    They can't get their head round it and no end of pestering will get them to drop the limit below 10 a day.....:eek::mad:
    Life in the slow lane
  • Migster
    Migster Posts: 150 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    xlnc99 wrote: »
    can you shed some light on that website. I typed my email address in and it has been breached. What do i do next? Sign up? Is it secure?
    Generally, it just means your email address and possibly password (though this should have been encrypted )was part of a data breach (as detailed on that site), but unless you use the same email address and password as login credentials on multiple sites you use, you should be OK.

According to that site, my main email address has been part of 8 separate data breaches over the last 10 years and I've never had any actual issues as a result.
  • kanikasharma
    Options
    Thanks for update
  • cattytown
    Options
    xlnc99 wrote: »
    can you shed some light on that website. I typed my email address in and it has been breached. What do i do next? Sign up? Is it secure?

What do you do?

There's no need to sign up to that specific site. They link to 1Password, but there are others such as lastpass.

What you need to do is start changing passwords everywhere that matters. They list some individual sites that have been breached.
    Where you can, use two factor authentication. That's something you know and something you have typically. That can be knowing a password, and getting a code sent to your mobile phone - something you have.

How do they get reached - usually it's poor security on the web site where passwords are stored either unencrypted, or on a way they can be decrypted. Good web sites use one way encryption. Do maths on the password, get an answer. Store that answer. Someone tres to log on - do the same maths on the password and see if the answer is the one stored.

It is good practice to use different passwords for every website. that can be awkward. I have over 200 logins. Having them unique, memorable and safe is a non starter.

You could try to make them unique by using a root password (say Pa55wd) and adding a website idenifier - Pa55wd-ebay for example. That's easy for you but have a guess what the matching Amazon password would be. One compromised, others are guessable.

Another thought is thing which ones matter. Email is very definitely up there as that's the normal "I have lost my [awword, please reset it" route. If I can read your email, I can reset many of your passwords. Then things like banking need unique passwords. Online shopping where you have cards registered. Ones that don't really matter can be shared. You may well still have too many to remember.

What makes a good password? Long, and non guessable. Multiple types of characters. %D^Yyu787yc Is decent. Not memorable though. Random words Ear-Bike-potato-97! has length, upper/lower case, is easier to type mixed case numbers and punctuation. I tend to use words like that where I may have to do it on a TV screen using a remote control.

Simple fact is good passwords tend not to be memorable and if you have a lot you will need to record them somewhere. That's where a password manager comes in. It lets you have every web site unique, most will generate passwords for you and will auto enter complex passwords. The risk is that you have just one password to get access to all the others, and you have to choose one that is trustworthy.

Hope that helps a little.
    Paul.

That's where a password manager comes in.
  • SuperPikachu
    Options
    Just this week I have managed to keep the HSBC fraud department from scamming someone else by holding the nice Asian sounding lady on the phone for a while! I don't bank at HSBC! Simple thing, she wanted my name, and my card details. I gave false names!

Now OP I would get the wife to check this out to see if her email is compromised!
    https://haveibeenpwned.com/

Also my bank now has an on my phone where I can ring them direct, so even if the visa fraud department ring again, I have my app to verify!

How reliable is that website? It said my email has been "breached" 9 times but I only know of 2 of the things it listed.
  • born_again
    Options
    While some seem to swear by "Pwned" site.

I tend to think that it may be better to ignore, just change your passwords and get on with your life.

Nothing wrong with writing passwords in a book & storing at home, just make sure that you use a system only your know to define the website & the password. Say a phrase that covers the password but would be hard to guess.

No one is going to get them.
    Life in the slow lane
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    edited 18 January 2020 at 10:09PM
    Options
    Interesting how this thread has turned into a promotion of a site that I had never previously heard of with so many hurrying off to enter their e-mail address there..
  • GaleSF63
    GaleSF63 Posts: 1,536 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    born_again wrote: »
    While some seem to swear by "Pwned" site.

I tend to think that it may be better to ignore, just change your passwords and get on with your life.

Nothing wrong with writing passwords in a book & storing at home, just make sure that you use a system only your know to define the website & the password. Say a phrase that covers the password but would be hard to guess.

No one is going to get them.

I often use that method but there has been the odd occasion I've been so cryptic I don't understand my own clues.
  • born_again
    Options
    Ben8282 wrote: »
    Interesting how this thread has turned into a promotion of a site that I had never previously heard of with so many hurrying off to enter their e-mail address there..

You have to wonder just how many email address they have managed to acquire over the years...
    Life in the slow lane
  • 2e0arr
    2e0arr Posts: 1,007 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    if you feed in your email address whats to stop them saying yes email has been leaked, now buy our stuff
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure