Options
2»

Comments

• born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,576 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    18cc wrote: »
    There is quite a robust procedure to add a card to Google pay I don't think it was just a matter of typing in the card details I wonder how they breached that

Yep. I was passed to the bank to confirm my details.
    if anything, to find out how they got past their security and were able to use my card details so easily, as well as knowing info about my account (they managed to extract the exact amount to get my account down to zero).

Which brings up my question - how the hell do you actually get in touch with Google?

A Don't bother wasting your time contacting them..
    Could it be a employee that knows account details?
    TBH. All you realty need is the card details.
    They will have no idea of how much you have in your account. As you were told. They tried several times and in the end maxed out your account.

As to contacting them if you really want too.
    YOU JUST GOOGLE CONTACT GOOGLE PAY..
    Do you have a google account yourself?
    Life in the slow lane
  • A_Lert
    A_Lert Posts: 609 Forumite
    Options
    If the criminals know your personal/business details and card details, they know everything they'd need to make a purchase. Google or any other retailer or payment provider have no way of knowing the criminal isn't you, especially if it's a service you don't use.
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,576 Forumite
    Options
    SharpMind wrote: »
    OP, I wish you good luck. And next time be more careful with your data, I dunno.

Yea... Don't use your debit card :rotfl:
    Life in the slow lane
  • joeythepoey
    Options
    Thanks for the responses guys.
    My main beef with Google is that I have a google account to which this card is already registered - how they couldn't notice another user in another country was adding those same card details to a different account without throwing up an alert baffles me.

Bank has thankfully refunded me, card has been destroyed.

As to being more careful - there are plenty of times one has to give card details, from renewing car insurance over the phone to ordering a curry, to companies storing data insecurely and getting hacked. Not quite sure what I could've done differently.
  • PRAISETHESUN
    Options
    Thanks for the responses guys.
    My main beef with Google is that I have a google account to which this card is already registered - how they couldn't notice another user in another country was adding those same card details to a different account without throwing up an alert baffles me.

Bank has thankfully refunded me, card has been destroyed.

As to being more careful - there are plenty of times one has to give card details, from renewing car insurance over the phone to ordering a curry, to companies storing data insecurely and getting hacked. Not quite sure what I could've done differently.

There isn't really too much you can really do, short of limiting the number of places where your data is stored. I tend to not let websites save my card details where possible - it only takes 30 sec to retype them when I actually need to use them. Otherwise have the card linked to an account where you typically don't have any money, and only transfer in when you expect to make a payment/purchase.
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Otherwise have the card linked to an account where you typically don't have any money, and only transfer in when you expect to make a payment/purchase.
    Only a few accounts will not let you go overdrawn. If you want to be totally sure, you'd need to have one that doesn't.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure