fraudulent activity using my card details on Google Pay

Options
Hey guys,

Today my main bank account got hosed by someone in Ireland (I'm on the south coast of the UK). I have a Lloyds business account, and they somehow managed to get hold of my card details. Two transactions went out (we're not in a financially great state at the moment as it is, being self employed and chasing clients for pre-christmas payments) and after speaking to the bank, they tried for a total of 7 times to extract as much as they could - which in this case was the entire balance.

They used Google Pay - not something I generally use myself, so it was thankfully quickly spotted.

From the bank side of things, I managed to resolve things fairly smoothly - they could see based on the location and timing, as well as the method I don't generally use that it was fraudulent.

However, I still need to chase up Google - if anything, to find out how they got past their security and were able to use my card details so easily, as well as knowing info about my account (they managed to extract the exact amount to get my account down to zero).

Which brings up my question - how the hell do you actually get in touch with Google?
I was able to fill in a form (with way too little space to put in any detail) for online submission, and 'they will get back to me in a few days'?

I spent ages going around their support pages in circles, with a system that seems designed to obstruct and make any kind of claim as confusing as possible.

Is there any way to speak to a human?

Comments

• jonesMUFCforever
    Options
    If the bank are refunding you and replacing your card - why contact Google at all.
    In all probability they won't speak specifics with you as you are not their 'customer'.
    They certainly won't tell you how the security was breached.
  • JuicyJesus
    JuicyJesus Posts: 3,830 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Jones is correct. Chasing up Google is a total waste of your time. They also won't know anything about how the fraudsters knew your account balance.
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
  • SnowTiger
    SnowTiger Posts: 4,459 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    However, I still need to chase up Google - if anything, to find out how they got past their security and were able to use my card details so easily, as well as knowing info about my account (they managed to extract the exact amount to get my account down to zero).

Which brings up my question - how the hell do you actually get in touch with Google?
    I was able to fill in a form (with way too little space to put in any detail) for online submission, and 'they will get back to me in a few days'?

I spent ages going around their support pages in circles, with a system that seems designed to obstruct and make any kind of claim as confusing as possible.

Is there any way to speak to a human?

Stop wasting your time.

Google isn't going to discuss its security issues with some random bloke who contacts them.

Claim? I doubt Google will pay you compo. They're likely to be the victim here.
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    Options
    If the bank are refunding you and replacing your card - why contact Google at all.
    In all probability they won't speak specifics with you as you are not their 'customer'.
    They certainly won't tell you how the security was breached.
    Agreed. You don't need to contact Google.
  • MDMD
    MDMD Posts: 1,429 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    If Google pay is anything like Apple Pay, all it is is a virtual wallet storing your card details. Someone will have got hold of those so it’s between you and Lloyds.
  • 18cc
    18cc Posts: 2,120 Forumite
    Options
    There is quite a robust procedure to add a card to Google pay I don't think it was just a matter of typing in the card details I wonder how they breached that
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,300 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes , Google warns instantly if a new device is added , email address is changed , mobile number changed etc.

It does 2 step authentication for important changes
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • JuicyJesus
    JuicyJesus Posts: 3,830 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    18cc wrote: »
    There is quite a robust procedure to add a card to Google pay I don't think it was just a matter of typing in the card details I wonder how they breached that

Yeah, with Apple Pay at least you require all of the card details plus then a secondary verification, either by calling the bank or receiving a message to the phone number or email address on file - if either of those have been changed recently then it defaults to only letting you call up for verification for obvious reasons. I'd imagine Google Pay is similar because, why wouldn't it be?

If it is like that I'd honestly be astonished that OP's card got added to Google Pay without his knowledge.
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
  • Nic246
    Nic246 Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    I wouldn't bother contacting Google as they're highly unlikely to discuss it's security issues.
  • 18cc
    18cc Posts: 2,120 Forumite
    Options
    No apostrophe
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business