New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Switching from BT for cheaper deal

edited 17 January 2020 at 4:47PM in Broadband & Internet Access
39 replies 1.8K views
PMWPMW Forumite
14 posts
edited 17 January 2020 at 4:47PM in Broadband & Internet Access
I’ve been pondering switching Broadband and line provider for a month or so, as BT are very expensive and my current contract is about to end.

Having done the research and found cheaper deals to replace the Superfast Fibre that I currently have (TalkTalk, Plusnet, John Lewis, EE & Vodafone), am about to opt for one of these - but on checking out a public review site, they all seem to have totally nightmare reviews (in terms of outages, customer services, speed, etc.). Not sure if that’s because the only people who tend to post reviews are those who are really angry and dissatisfied, or because they really are awful.

Also, on the actual switch-over, anyone had any problems?

I’ve been with BT since the beginning of time, and they’ve generally been fine (certainly in recent years I’ve had no problems), so starting to get cold feet about switching. Does a cheaper price come with a worse service, I wonder?

Does anyone have any good or bad experiences with the above providers?

Thanks.

Edited to add that I currently pay £54.99 pm for broadband and landline (with free weekend calls, which I don't really need, as I use my mobile mostly).

Replies

• cranfordcranford Forumite
    797 posts
    Tenth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    If you switch how long will the lower price last for before you are put on the providers full rate rather that the deal for new customers? Once you work out the savings then you can decide if its worth the hassle. You can of course try and haggle with BT before you leave and haggle /switch again at the end of your new deal.
  • StompaStompa Forumite
    8.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    You may well find that once you've instigated a switch, BT will come back to you with a much better offer and you can remain with them!
    Stompa
  • edited 17 January 2020 at 4:58PM
    PMWPMW Forumite
    14 posts
    edited 17 January 2020 at 4:58PM
    Thanks (to both respondents).

Good point about how long the cheaper deal lasts. I suppose the thing is that you're expected to keep moving around - not so easy when we rely on unbroken connectivity so much these days - although I've switched my fuel provider easily and seamlessly.

I was wondering if BT might budge if they know I'm leaving. I suppose, part of the attraction of switching is that you just sign up with a new provider (say via Uswitch) and they do everything from there, so you don't actually have to get involved anymore. But, could be an idea to contact BT to let them know I'm leaving. There is a very big difference in price, so I don't know how much they might budge.
  • Al_RossAl_Ross Forumite
    633 posts
    Tenth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    I have 3 different accounts with BT,at 3 properties.I alway manage to get a good deal with a threat of leaving and tell them what deal I want,i.e my mate is paying B.T x amount and that is what I want.

Before my contact expires BT now send me an email offering to renew at the same cheap rate and I do.

I pay £21.99 for 80 meg high speed fibre,this includes the landline and free weekend calls.The speed never drops no traffic shaping like Talk Talk and some others do.
  • Paully28Paully28 Forumite
    250 posts
    100 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    PMW wrote: »
    Thanks (to both respondents).

Good point about how long the cheaper deal lasts. I suppose the thing is that you're expected to keep moving around - not so easy when we rely on unbroken connectivity so much these days - although I've switched my fuel provider easily and seamlessly.

I was wondering if BT might budge if they know I'm leaving. I suppose, part of the attraction of switching is that you just sign up with a new provider and they do everything from there, so you don't actually have to get involved anymore But, could be an idea to contact BT to let them know I'm leaving. There is a very big difference in price, so I don't know how much they might budge.

I would try to negotiate with BT. I did this, just by mentioning that i was thinking of leaving at the end of my contract. I went from, what would have been in the region of £120/month, to just over half that at £65/month.
  • littleboolittleboo Forumite
    860 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    You need to consider that switching ISP’s is a more complex process than switching energy suppliers (which is just an administrative change) and therefore there is more that could go wrong - some loss of service during the changeover, from minor to manor, or loss of your phone number, if that’s important to you. If you use the ISP’s email, then you will eventually loose that or need to pay to keep it. Most people don’t have a problem switching, but it’s worth adding these factors into the equation. You should also be able to get a cheap or free new router if you negotiate a new package, you don’t even need to use straight away but it’s helpful to have a spare
  • AndyPKAndyPK Forumite
    4.1K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would avoid TalkTalk, & John Lewis

EE are ok, but there prices massivly rise after minimum term.

What you should consider is Sky, and NowTV (same company, the latter cheaper)
  • couriervanmancouriervanman Forumite
    1.4K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    Now Broadband super fibre £30 a month,12 month contract,free anytime calls,£70 quidco cashback and average 63mbps(i get 73mbps but live close to a bt cabinet)
  • JJ_EganJJ_Egan Forumite
    17.6K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OP does not say what they are paying nor what services required .
  • couriervanmancouriervanman Forumite
    1.4K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    JJ_Egan wrote: »
    OP does not say what they are paying nor what services required .

Well you can guarantee with it being BT..........an arm and a leg:eek: