Forum Home» Special Occasions & Other Celebrations

Santa’s challenge 2020 ... - Page 20

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Santa’s challenge 2020 ...

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Special Occasions & Other Celebrations
227 replies 11.2K views

Replies

• chaniechanie Forumite
    2.8K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    happy kitties the Costa chocolate gift card sounds like a great gift and I had a couple of people who I thought it would be ideal for.   But if it’s only available until the end of December, it may not be a suitable gift, as it doesn’t give much time for it to be used.   I think I may get one for myself, as it will be a nice treat for my weekly trip to the Office (Central London).

2020 savings on purchases £6303.60
  • KatiehoundKatiehound Forumite
    5.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    The Christmas duvet is new - but not the pillowcase! (I shall tell the recipient that)  Anyhow I decided to take it apart and put white sheeting on the back as all the pillowcases I had were green or blue!

Sun/Mon was 'eco warrior' day!
    Saved a bin bag of clothes dumped by can bank! One pair of trousers still had their label attached- from a local independent. I had to wash them they were so grubby- original price: £99! sadly most of the clothes went for rag weight.
    Then on Mon went skippy dipping - with permission. 3 bags of clothes but mostly covered with sawdust/ builders muck!! Jack West gilet rescued (I'm told that's about £100 new)- given a new home. One of the dirtiest things was a rainbow unicorn onesie- so now saving mythical beasts too!!(also rehomed!)
    I got about 12 mugs (shoeboxes) and there were some thin polycotton  beach wraps- again shoebox perfect.

If you want a laugh, today, I was on the phone to bank with handset resting on shoulder- in the queue, CC on knee as I want to cancel it, knitting away when there was a bang on the door! Dog food delivery 2 hours early. Mayhem : 2 hounds leaping about & me attached to both phone & knitting. Had to hunt the CC later......
    Still waiting for dentist to ring- temp crown came off yesterday. Bit of a nightmare- it's really hard to eat anything
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks

• Happy_KittiesHappy_Kitties Forumite
    1.2K posts
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Katiehound- I’m in full sympathy with you regarding the dentist. I’ve half a swollen face, dentist is seeing me as his last patient of the day tomorrow as I’m a bit of a challenge as lidocaine tolerant. Currently on soft foods only. Woke up at 5am in pain.
    Great eco warrior saving. I’m shocked that someone would get rid of a brand new pair of trousers with the label still on and an expensive gilet just skipped. It’s so wasteful and I’m glad that mythical beasts are being saved aswell :smile:
    Not much to report from me. The presents I’m doing on behalf of DM are coming along nicely. I’ve used a couple of bits from my stash rather than DM buying that complete presents nicely.Just cannot be bothered wrapping. There is one card I need to buy that she is missing before Wales goes back into lockdown but doing really well.
    One friend has asked now our kids are both 21 can we stop present buying for them. I’m so happy as I tried to stop a couple of years earlier but friend wasn’t really keen then. 
    A question was also asked of why we were buying for one part of the family and was now the time to stop as they didn’t want to do it anymore.  Jumped at that suggestion. So next year should be much better. Still quite a few to buy for, but much less and pennies will be saved.
    2017 birthday savings shopping frugally = 481.15:T:T:T:money. 2018 birthday savings so far=360.66:j
  • chaniechanie Forumite
    2.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Katie  great work on your eco activities.  
    Happy kitties its great that you area able to have discussions with people about cutting down on gifts.  As much as I like Xmas prep and finding the perfect gift, it can feel like a chore at times.

I contacted my area collector to arrange to drop off my Link Boxes.  I'm going to try and drop them off this weekend if possible.  I just need to get the chocolate/sweets and wrap them up, plus sort out the money.  This is always the bit that I struggle with.  I'm off to Lidl soon as I have a £10 voucher which expires today, so I'll grab some chocolates.  
    Tomorrow I'm off to Home Bargains and B & M, across town, as I have an appointment.  Last time I went, they had only just started putting out their Xmas stock, so I'm hoping they have more out now.
  • chaniechanie Forumite
    2.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I popped to Home Bargains and B&M today and saw lots of great stuff;

These items are for some Xmas eve hampers. No one will know they are from Home Bargains.  The marshmallow doughnuts look very pretty and the box was £1.30.

The sack is for the children’s Xmas eve kits (pjs, toothbrush, Santa key, Santa plate and cup for his treats).
    also bought some trainer cleaning kits for teenage boys.

Some beauty products for DD.  The bath bombs in Home Bargains are cheap, but some are rubbish and barely leave any colour in the bath.  I’ve used both of these ones before and they have been good.
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
    1.2K posts
    ✭✭✭
    Chanie some really great items, I loved the photos. Want to get my hands on some of the spaghetti bath wash if I can.
    Hands are tied at the minute with living in Wales, lots of restrictions and battling to stay out of hospital with mouth infection. Never have I felt so sick on upping my pain meds to max and taking the cocktail of antibiotics they have put me on. 
    DD is coming over to stay for a couple of days just in case I do have to go into hospital and with living in England has been picking up things to bring over that I can’t get at the moment.  I’m hoping to send some items  back home with her just in case I can’t get over for Christmas. Things are ready, it’s just a case of putting things together. Depending on how I feel I might try and do some of that tonight. The extra hour in bed and spreading out my painkillers more have certainly helped me and while being back in full lockdown now is the time to do it.
    I like the look of the marshmallows and think the Angel delight is a great idea. 
    Whatever Christmas may look like this year I’m still excited for it.
    no further forward on my final 3 boxes. Going to contact the collector to see if he is in Wales now or back in after lockdown so that I can drop them off.

2017 birthday savings shopping frugally = 481.15:T:T:T:money. 2018 birthday savings so far=360.66:j
  • chaniechanie Forumite
    2.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    happy kitties I hope you can get your infection under control.
    it sounds strange to think that Wales is in lockdown while many other parts of the UK are carrying on as normal.  

I dropped off my 4 link boxes tonight.  My area collector is only expecting a couple more to be dropped off.  They said that the school groups just aren’t doing them this year.   I also have a bag of toys for the Christmas toy appeal, so I’ll drop that off next week.
  • edited 31 October at 7:20PM
    KatiehoundKatiehound Forumite
    5.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 31 October at 7:20PM
    Best wishes to you Happy Kitties that the infection is dealt with asap and that you aren't in pain- 'cos that is really draining.

I am busy crafting for my dog runner's expected grand D- due this coming month. I have a cute rabbit comforter crocheted in grey yarn with pink ear linings! Need to make a second- possibly it won't be exactly the same as I have 'created' the pattern.
    The knitted matinee coat is complete- it's fine but I wouldn't make another.
    The cot blanket needs 1 more row  across and then 6 or 7 rows all round as it is narrower than intended!- then it will approx 85 x 120 cm. It's in assorted 'sugar almond' colours and looks very pretty.

Other than that I have made an 'Ascot cravat'/ tippet scarf/ keyhole scarf to match a crochet hat. If you google 'Miss marple' cravat- images- you will see it. The holes are slightly fiddly but it is quick to make and I'm thinking maybe a present or two!

I also have a whole list of ornaments I want to crochet- angels, owls, wreaths. It's knowing what is urgent!! Yes, the baby stuff

I also made 4 x doggy duvets & 8 x removable covers (all materials supplied) for my hairdresser. Little does she know that payment will be required in haircuts!!

Looks like lockdown will be shortly. Will need to check on the 2 x full afternoon dentist appts due this week!!

Take care folks
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks

1.2K posts
    ✭✭✭
    Many thanks Chanie and Katiehound. Gum is still slightly swollen and the tooth bits sore, hopefully dentist can finally sort this week. U are right Katiehound, it has been really draining and the antibiotics just about finished me off.Yesterday was an emergency trip to A+E for something completely different early in the morning. Fortunately that got sorted rather than surgery but ideally I would like to be avoiding the hospital just now, esp with cases on the rise in this area and we have been a very low case area so far. Def hoping for no more health dramas.
    I did manage to send some things back with DD who came over and I now have DM Christmas tree decorated with baubles and lights wrapped in cling film tucked in my back bedroom that DD managed to transport over that my DM would just pull out all ready to go every year.
    i don’t know what I’m going to do about my final 3 shoeboxes, might just send direct to the main place.
    Christmas shopping, whatever I haven’t got now, I’m not bothered about. Managed to finish off DMs shopping aswell and have been wrapping her presents for people. A couple of things I’ve pulled out of my stocks and switched bits around where it was easier just to do a joint present, but so far so good. I’m just collecting and saving boxes ready for when presents get sent out at the end of the month. Our post is still very hit and miss so really want to be on the ball with this if I can........best laid plans and all that the way my luck has been going!

• chaniechanie Forumite
    2.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I popped back to Home Bargains and B&M yesterday, even though the stores I go to are on the other side of London.  I bought a couple of bits and pieces for the children, which I think I will roll over to next Xmas, as they have enough for this year.

I bought this for DD.  Me and OH has to rack our brains to find a hiding place for it.