Santa’s challenge 2020 ...

Comments

• Anglea
    Anglea Posts: 7,204 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Hello MaiMit and sammy_kaye18, hope you enjoy our chat on here, it's not just about Christmas but other special occasions and life in general
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,536 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    As planned delivered the 8 shoeboxes  a few weeks ago! A friend gave me 2 knee blankets to go with the boxes. (They use them as packaging round boxes in the larger cartons and then give them out at the end of the journey.) In the end I sewed over 20 small shopping bags and there is still some of that wretched tough material left!! (Could be pencil cases.... or rag bag!)

The bin bags of stuff are greatly reduced: one charity shop which is still taking goods has a 'vintage' section so several   bags have gone there with GiftAid. The main charity I support (which takes rags ) has suspended donations as they have over 60 tons to sort thro!- that's county wide, not one shop.
    Two new handkerchiefs had the utility mark- they are going to local museum.
    Lots of fine wool - 2 &3 ply going to a friend for her weaving
    The shopping trolley, now full of donations going to another charity shop, hopefully, next week.
    I might see a teeny space... then!

For my boxes just one pair of mittens to knit. I'm on the rib. I also want to crotchet 2 knee blankets- one is 1/4 done.

Other than that I think Christmas will be a non event for me, sadly. The dogs are getting more of a social life than me!!

Loads to do but the will has somehow wandered off................
    best wishes to everyone!

Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks
    -Stash busting: 337 in 2022
    Stash busting: in 2023. 120 doggy duvets, 24 shopping bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lavender bags,36 crochet angels,9 woven bones, 1 crochet knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramid pouches = total 420...£119.50 spent- £114.50 earned= total spend £5. Total earned for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets, 24 pyramid pouches, 6 hot water bottle covers, 4 knitted beanies, 1 crochet angel= 58 £61 spent!!! already
  • Welcome to the newbies
    Sorry i havent been about, DM has been very poorly and ive started a declutter of her house. Did wonder if there were any charity shops taking donations as i know there is one animal charity shop that has suspended donations. Popped in to see a friend in another charity shop. They said in England their shops had suspended donations or it was a booked drop off but they hadnt had much and were happy to take some of DMs items. If i was doing the decluttering challenge for DM i think it would be an easy 1000 target reached by the end of the year!
    @Katiehound Well done on getting ur boxes done and delievered. Even better getting ur friend and his daughter on board. Im no further forward, just need to add a magnifying glass to a box and then its all done and one left to go
    I have managed to pack up the remaining charity auction items to send to the organiser. Another 35 items in total as the Christmas charity auctions start next month. Finding a box was impossible. Thats my main problem at the minute-boxes.
    I am way behind on birthdays this year since DM was taken poorly. Theyre landmark birthdays aswell, hoping to get one sent off tomorrow with a little note just explaining inside. I know people wont mind and im glad i have the presents in.
    Picked up a present for DD yesterday so she is almost finished now. 
    I not quite sure what Christmas will hold for me this year either, it all depends on where DM is placed.

Decluttering challenge 2023🏅⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ 
    Decluttering challenge 2024 🏅⭐️
  • been awol  this whole situation been  playing havoc with my MH  hope you all well 

finances disaster but baby-stepping back to security:

2024 let's do this !!
  • chanie
    chanie Posts: 3,317 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Just a quickie from me.  
    I completed one more present today.  I went to Bicester Village outlet and bought my Mum some Sweaty Betty leggings for £50, down from £80.  I was struggling with ideas and it just came to me as I was choosing myself a pair.  As they were in the outlet, I saved £70 on thr two pairs.

My Mum told mr today that she may come around to ours for Xmas.  I said they are more than welcome but Boris may have us on lockdown by then.   This means, I now have 3 extra stockings to do - one each for my mum and her partner and one for the kitten...

I don’t think I posted on this thread, but did on another one.  We got DD a kitten for her birthday.  He’s a lovely addition to our family and I need to get him a stocking.  I will post a picture when I get a chance.
  • Ooooo Chanie a kitten, i bet ur DD was thrilled. Ive inherited a 18 year old lump from my DM. He was actually born at mine, i still have his mum who is 21. Even after 18 years they recognised each other, he got quite upset getting a whop from his mum this morning!
    I had an email from the bags of education. They were hoping for a 1000 this year, they received 400 which they can't send out yet with travel restrictions but were just letting people know they were grateful for the bags received and will send out as soon as they are able to.
    Ive been keeping an eye out for reduced stationary now kids have gone back to school, ready for next years bags and boxes. Not much luck so far.
    Christmas wise, tried to get some matchmakers from Tesc* at 75p to go in my doomsday box, all sold out. They did say they would get more in.
    Ive wrapped one more Christmas present. Have got DDs main present which she is having early-an air fryer! Just a couple of little bits to get her and she is done, the same for Duncle. Just need to get to h.bargaibs for the bars he likes.
    Trying to focus on presents that will need to be sent out, to send out early if necessary 
    Caught up on charity items and birthdays i was behind on sending, boxes are the big problem, really having to adapt 
  • chanie
    that’s a shame about the bags for life, but hopefully, they will reach their target in the future.

i managed to buy some of the 75p matchsticks from Tesco’s today.  I went to the big Tesco Extra, as I was in the area.  I think the pandemic may definitely have an impact on Christmas this year, so I thought it would be nice to make up a few hampers for family members with some treats in them, so the matchsticks are the first item.  I’m going to start buying Xmas foods from now, because I can’t see how shops and customers will manage the build up to Christmas with social distancing.  Speaking of which, The Range was putting out their Christmas stock today.
  • Great minds think alike Chanie!
    I decided on a trip to h.bargains this afternoon which was surprisingly quiet but Christmas stock out.
    They had  Duncles bars in stock so i bought 10 boxes. He  can't get the flavour on his own store and theyre his favourite. Hopefully if im in the mood i will wrap tonight.
    I also managed to get some Border shortbread in there. Like u Chanie i've started to think about buying some Christmas goodies as i thought the same about the shops at Christmas. My shortbread was the first item.
    With the bags of education they have launched  the virtual gift charity option which i thought was a good idea with lacking bag numbers this year. I used to do virtual gifts alot. The  only time they werent appreciated was when i did it for an engagement present for DB and DSis, they were not happy!
  • chanie
    That’s a shame that your virtual gift wasn’t appreciated.  

Great result on getting your Dubcles bars from Home Bargains.  I’ll be going next week to HB.  My local store is on the other side of London, but I make a point of going when I’m in the area.

• chanie
    Here is the kitten, we all adore him.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills