We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Martin Lewis says Santander 123 is now a dead duck current account as it cuts interest and cashback

Options
167891012»

Comments

• kartwheel
    Options
    I haven't heard any mention of the free cash withdrawals from the Santander cash machines in Spain. I was wondering if it is worth holding onto the 123 account for this reason. I probably withdraw about £2000 over the year when on holiday in Spain. It's very handy for me.
  • clivep
    clivep Posts: 585 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    kartwheel wrote: »
    I haven't heard any mention of the free cash withdrawals from the Santander cash machines in Spain. I was wondering if it is worth holding onto the 123 account for this reason. I probably withdraw about £2000 over the year when on holiday in Spain. It's very handy for me.

Only time I tried to use my Santander debit card for this was at the Santander cash machine outside their bank in Palma, Majorca. Card was rejected! Nationwide one worked fine.
  • NoodleDoodleMan
    NoodleDoodleMan Posts: 3,518 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 31 January 2020 at 9:51PM
    Options
    Only time I tried to use my Santander debit card for this was at the Santander cash machine outside their bank in Palma, Majorca. Card was rejected! Nationwide one worked fine.
    Strange - did you take this up with Santander, either locally or in the UK ?

I had an issue with a Santander branded ATM in Mallorca a couple of years ago and they refunded the fee charged which should not have been taken.

You would have been charged 5 Euros for using your Nationwide card, based on reports I think - assuming this was a recent transaction. That appears to be Santander's standard ATM charge now for using another bank's debit card.
  • clivep
    clivep Posts: 585 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Strange - did you take this up with Santander, either locally or in the UK ?

I had an issue with a Santander branded ATM in Mallorca a couple of years ago and they refunded the fee charged which should not have been taken.

You would have been charged 5 Euros for using your Nationwide card, based on reports I think - assuming this was a recent transaction. That appears to be Santander's standard ATM charge now for using another bank's debit card.

It was 4 years ago when there was no Santander charge for using the Nationwide debit card. Nationwide had started charging £1 ATM fee plus 2% Non-Sterling Transaction Fee (now 2.75%).

We were only in Palma for the day (from a cruise) and I had specifically looked up where the main Santander branch was and gone out of our way to find it so I was rather annoyed when I was unable to use the Santander card for any withdrawal.

As we had no plans to visit Spain again I didn't bother raising the matter with Santander.

I opened a Starling account last year just to use for overseas cash withdrawals.
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,640 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    kartwheel wrote: »
    If you need that kind of regular cash in Spain (instead of paying by card..?) then yes, Santander branches and ATMs are now probably more prevalent than the few remaining banks whose ATMs don't charge for withdrawals.

So the Santander UK debit card is becoming the best choice for fee-free cash euros in Spain, better than the usual 'travel' cards, and it would be worth even opening an account for the purpose if you have such need.

The Santander Everyday current account has no monthly fee, and apparently the need for monthly £500 incoming funding in order to obtain the free withdrawals benefit is no longer in force (to be confirmed in practice).
    Evolution, not revolution
  • Wheres_My_Cashback
    Options
    DragonQ wrote: »
    No, I haven't. Thanks for the tip! I know that NatWest currently pay cashback for both Symbio Energy and Utility Point so I don't see why Santander wouldn't.

Santander do pay cashback on Utility Point though you won't find them on the listings.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.8K Life & Family
  • 249.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure