New home, nearly£200 monthly water bill!!

I've moved into a new home in the last few months to discover my new water bill is now £195 a month.

South West Water say it's based on Rateable Value. I've asked for a meter and they're coming next week to take a look.

Neighbors say person before wasn't able to get one due to access.

My neighbours all pay less, around£109 less per month, un metered. U feel I'm being ripped off and there's nothing I can do.

I'm a widowed mother of 2 young children, working full-time to put food on the table and now I'm going to have to cut back and go without meals for myself just to pay my water.

U feel stupid as I should have researched it before I moved.

Any advice please?

Comments

• MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,861
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    If you moved a few month ago the bill / payment will be higher as it's covering October (at a guess) when you moved to Feb or March (water bills are normally over 10 or 11 months).

Therefore your normal yearly bill won't have such a high direct debit as it's spread out over 10/11 months, you are cramming 7ish? Month's into 5/6 payments.

Have a proper look at your bill as it will give you the date your bill is from and to.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • deanos
    deanos Posts: 11,219
    First Post First Anniversary Uniform Washer
    Forumite
    edited 11 January 2020 at 1:47PM
    You mean a new home to you or a new build home ?

Brand new homes since 1990 are required to have a water meter.

If its a old property and you don't have one then just apply, even if it cant be fitted they will be able to do an accessed charge, some do it on a series of questions others base it on the amount of people in the property, some on the amount of bedrooms
  • Looking at it, normal monthly cost will be£129.00 per month for 12 months...
  • Talldave
    Talldave Posts: 2,002
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    That's insane - or you live in a castle?!
  • dogshome
    dogshome Posts: 3,877
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Water costs based on the Rateable Value are historic and have a lot of crazy of anomalies.

Apparently the previous occupier tried to get a meter installed, but was refused due a difficulty in the pipework

However this should have triggered an application for "Assessed" billing, which is based on the number of occupants and the Water Co's guess as to how much water they will use.

I suspect that the Water Co won't offer this just based on the previous occupiers experience.
    Best bet is to start the process anew by applying for a Water Meter, and when after the survey the Water Co say it can't be done, you then apply for Assessed billing
  • reefer37
    reefer37 Posts: 90
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    south west water have the highest water charges in the uk. hence why your bill will be very high as a rateable value. they do charge less if on a meter.

so would apply to be on a meter. like also state early if you cant have meter fitted due to your pipework then you can the go onto assessed charges which should mimic what you would have paid on a meter.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    dogshome wrote: »

However this should have triggered an application for "Assessed" billing, which is based on the number of occupants and the Water Co's guess as to how much water they will use.

Agree with the above, but would add that the assessed charge for some(most??) water companies is based on the number of bedrooms in the property and not occupants. Albeit all companies have a single person tariff regardless of number of bedrooms.

The Assessed Household Charge is available for customers who have asked to be charged by a water meter, but we have been unable to fit one at their property, for example in a block of flats or if the pipework is not suitable.
    This charging system was agreed with our regulator Ofwat in 2007, came in as of 1 April 2008, and the Single Occupier tariff later came in as of 1 April 2009. Properties are placed in a band, based on the number of bedrooms at your home, or a single occupier tariff if you live on your own.
    If we are unable to fit a meter at your property, and if the new charges will be less than what you are currently paying, we will automatically transfer you on to the Assessed Household Charge. This will only be done from the date you applied for a meter.
  • RelievedSheff
    RelievedSheff Posts: 11,225
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 13 January 2020 at 1:46PM
    That is a crazy amount to pay for water!!!!

How do they warrant that price?

We are paying £10 per month for a 3 bed detached with Severn Trent on a meter and we are in credit at that!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure