New Post Advanced Search

Gas bill increased X 5 (Ebico)

13 replies 1.3K views
Natalie_7Natalie_7 Forumite
2 posts
Hi there, I wonder if anyone can help me.
I'm on Ebico's Green fixed v4 for both electricity and gas and have been with them for a few years. I only have a gas hob so my gas bill has been about £5 per quarter (heating is paid through rent). All of a sudden this tariff now has a minimum gas charge of £104 a year- which I obviously don't want to pay when I'm only using £20 worth.

I wondered if anyone had knowledge of an energy company that doesn't have standing charges or a minimum yearly amount? When I go on the compare sites they seem to malfunction after I say my yearly gas is £20!

Any help would be so appreciated.

Replies

• moleratmolerat Forumite
    23.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Use your actual annual kWh consumption in the comparison.
  • frugalmacdugalfrugalmacdugal Forumite
    7.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi,

you could maybe switch to Ebico's Zero Green, have a look here.
    Y'all take care now.
    happy0207.gif

• Gerry1Gerry1 Forumite
    3.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    You've posted in the 'Other Fuels' forum so you may not get many replies.

However, the Energy forum has many similar threads which may help you. Copy and paste the following into Google.

"no+standing+charge"+mse+energy+forum
  • edited 11 January at 4:10PM
    BenightBenight Forumite
    418 posts
    100 Posts
    ✭✭
    edited 11 January at 4:10PM
    Natalie_7 wrote: »
    Hi there, I wonder if anyone can help me.
    I'm on Ebico's Green fixed v4 for both electricity and gas and have been with them for a few years. I only have a gas hob so my gas bill has been about £5 per quarter (heating is paid through rent). All of a sudden this tariff now has a minimum gas charge of £104 a year- which I obviously don't want to pay when I'm only using £20 worth.

I wondered if anyone had knowledge of an energy company that doesn't have standing charges or a minimum yearly amount? When I go on the compare sites they seem to malfunction after I say my yearly gas is £20!

Any help would be so appreciated.

Ebico have a tariff that has zero standing charge. I think that is the one you are currently on :)
    However, it's unit prices are exhorbitant (e.g over 6p /kWh for gas; some other suppliers are charging less than 2.5p /kWh)
    I'm not aware of any other supplier that currently offers a zero standing charge tariff.

As you say, that particular tariff has minimum annual bill value provisions.
    Ebico do not apply those provisions currently to any of their other tariffs. Nor do I know of any other supplier that applies such minimum annual bill value provisions.

I would urge you to consult a couple of comparison sites to find the best deal(s) for you :)

e.g Eon currently have a tariff only available from comparisons site.
    Fix Online Exclusive v22
    You would need to apply for it as a dual fuel tariff, but their gas is less than 3p/kWh and standing charge just over 6p. For your usage that would cost you only about £32 per year. Deduct your £12.50 cashback available from the MSE CEC (other sites are available, and may pay even higher cashback), and you will be better off than you currently are, even if Ebico did not apply minimum annual bill value provisions to their tariff :money:

More info on how to find the best deal(s) for you can be found here:
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/you-switch-gas-electricity/
  • TalldaveTalldave Forumite
    1.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Benight wrote: »
    Ebico have a tariff that has zero standing charge. I think that is the one you are currently on :)
    However, it's unit prices are exhorbitant (e.g over 6p /kWh for gas; some other suppliers are charging less than 2.5p /kWh).....

I'd be interested in who is offering less than 2.5p as the cheapest I can find is Gulf at 2.5p.
  • alun4alun4 Forumite
    483 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    I have the (ALMOST) same problem. We have a separate building that has an office space and shower. 20 years ago when we were renovating the whole site we installed a gas central heating system in this building but the main building had its own and the electricity we shared. So we have a a gas meter for this system and a gas meter for the main house and a single electricity meter for the house and the outbuilding.
    Some years we have used about £5.00 gas. But one year we had the main boiler (in the house fail) so we used about £100 in the outbuilding. Ebico was/is the supplier. Now with minimum spend requirement not good!
    All the avenues we have pursued want to supply dual fuel. (Note the supply pipes to the meter come different directions and are below a driveway of York slabs that I would not want to disturb)

Any Money Saving Help, please?
  • Mister_GMister_G Forumite
    1.4K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    alun4 wrote: »
    I have the (ALMOST) same problem. We have a separate building that has an office space and shower. 20 years ago when we were renovating the whole site we installed a gas central heating system in this building but the main building had its own and the electricity we shared. So we have a a gas meter for this system and a gas meter for the main house and a single electricity meter for the house and the outbuilding.
    Some years we have used about £5.00 gas. But one year we had the main boiler (in the house fail) so we used about £100 in the outbuilding. Ebico was/is the supplier. Now with minimum spend requirement not good!
    All the avenues we have pursued want to supply dual fuel. (Note the supply pipes to the meter come different directions and are below a driveway of York slabs that I would not want to disturb)

This is the LPG, Heating Oil, Solid & Other Fuels forum.

If you post in the correct forum - Energy, you may get more relevant replies.

PS. I know that the OP posted in the wrong place as well!
  • burntwoodburntwood Forumite
    154 posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    alun4 wrote: »

What gas fired central heating system uses just £5 worth of gas per year? :huh:

How much did you pay to have a second gas supply and associated meter installed at your address? :eek:
  • alun4alun4 Forumite
    483 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    As stated ... there was no standing with previous contract or indeed the ones before but there is now a minimum charge .... that's it. I can't remember even if there was an installation charge 30 - 40 years ago when the pipes were put in and buried on a just in case basis. We altered the building and put radiators and the boiler in 20 years ago then got a gas engineer to check and connect the boiler. We could pay to have the meter disconnected but there is a background intent to convert to a granny flat when I retire.
  • Natalie_7Natalie_7 Forumite
    2 posts
    Oops didn't realise I posted this in the wrong place! I'll find the correct place and re-post. Thanks for your replies anyway. I was considering just changing my gas hob as it seems so difficult to find no standing charge nowadays. I'll check out Eon that looks interesting.:)