Forum Home» Credit Cards» Stoozing: Free Cash from Credit Cards

Virgin won't accept my Amex UK balance transfer

New Post Advanced Search

Virgin won't accept my Amex UK balance transfer

8 replies 1.7K views
Zephir-1Zephir-1 Forumite
9 posts
I am having trouble with Virgin Money Credit Card.
I am trying to move money from Amex UK to Virgin Money Credit Card.
It's been one hell of a stressful ride trying to activate my Virgin card but I finally managed that.
Now the online tool is saying it does not recognise my Amex UK card number.
The Virgin Money agent said my Amex UK is set to Mexico region.
Several Amex agents all day have confirmed this is not true. It is correctly set to UK, as I suspected being a British card with British currency.
Has anyone else experience this nonsensical situation? Any ideas on how to overcome this?

Replies

• boo_starboo_star Forumite
    3.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Do you have any relationship with Mexico?
  • Ben8282Ben8282
    4.8K posts
    Newshound!
    ✭✭✭✭
    I was not aware that Amex cards were set to specific regions, but even if your card was somehow 'set to Mexico region', how could Virgin money know this? What does this mean anyway? If you mean that Virgin are saying the card was issued in Mexico, your terminology is somewhat strange
    What are the first 6 digits of your Amex card number please? This will clearly establish the country of issue.
  • MallyGirlMallyGirl Forumite, Board Guide
    5K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Intrepid Forum Explorer
    ✭✭✭✭
    When you say 'move money from Amex to Virgin' do you actually mean balance transfer debt from Amex to Virgin? Lots of cc companies won't balance transfer from Amex
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-free Wannabe, Loans & Credit Cards boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to [email protected]
    Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • VortigernVortigern Forumite
    3K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Zephir-1 wrote: »
    The usual problem with balance transfers from Amex is that Amex has a 15 digit card number. VM's online tool is expecting to see 16 digits, so you have to use VM's call centre.
    This may sound far-fetched but perhaps the VM person misheard you. When you said you want to balance transfer from (an) Amex card, they thought you said from a Mexican card? If you try again, say "American Express" rather than "Amex"
  • vimyridgevimyridge Forumite
    1 posts
    Second Anniversary
    MoneySaving Newbie
    I have balance transferred money from Amex to a Virgin Credit Card so its not that
  • newbie8newbie8 Forumite
    71 posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    It's been one hell of a stressful ride trying to activate my Virgin card but I finally managed that.
    Several Amex agents all day have confirmed this is not true. It is correctly set to UK, as I suspected being a British card with British currency.
    Has anyone else experience this nonsensical situation? Any ideas on how to overcome this?

I am assuming you opened a Sterling Pound AMEX Card. Even though this is the case. AMEX originated from USA and they don't actually issue the card in UK. It can be issued in Mexico, USA etc.. (I know Mexio isn't in USA :) ).

You can google your BIN and see where it was issued. It sounds funny but it's true. As for BT from AMEX to Virgin Money, it can be done but because the AMEX (I am assuming) a 15 digit card number it can't be done the conventional way (like a 16 digit card number). You have to call up Customer Services and ask them what the procedure is to BT from your AMEX to Virgin Card.

Hope this helps.
  • MoireachMoireach Forumite
    112 posts
    Fifth Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    MallyGirl said:
    Lots of cc companies won't balance transfer from Amex
    I've had no issue transferring to Tesco and to Natwest from Amex.
  • paylesspayless Forumite
    6.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is it ( or was it ) an Amex charge card rather than credit card 
    Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as (financial) advice.