John Lewis Dishwasher

Options
iangwilliams20
iangwilliams20 Posts: 6 Forumite
edited 10 January 2020 at 4:19PM in Praise, vent & warnings
Just before Christmas (23/12) my dishwasher broke and the advice i received was that it was beyond repair. I spent some time online researching and making calls to find a replacement. This included an exasperating conversation with John Lewis’ trying to establish what their charges might be for delivery, installation and subsequent removal of the old machine - after 27 minutes into the call I hung up without making a purchase.

I settled on a new machine from Currys - which they duly delivered and installed on 27th December.

On Monday this week (6th Jan) I got a phone call to tell me a delivery would made to my address in the next 15 mins as I was expecting several deliveries I did not query what it was. Shorlty after I received a call from daughter to tell me another dishwasher had been delivered that she had signed for. I immediately called the courier driver who had called me and said I was not expecting the delivery and could he return to collect it. He refused to do this and told me I would need to contact the retailer.

The machine had limited information attached to it other than it had come from Bosch Sales - we managed to establish this by Googling the codes on the label. Having contacted Bosch they were apparently unable to tell me who the retailer was that requested its delivery.

Myself and my wife made several phone calls to the retailers that I had looked at as potential suppliers originally (including John Lewis). All of whom denied any knowledge of the machine. Also, no charge had been made against any of my accounts. At this stage I was left with a £670 Bosch Dishwasher sat blocking my hallway.

As a last attempt my wife wrote to Bosch Customer Services asking them to try and trace where the order had originated. Four days later they responded stating that it was John Lewis’.

So I contacted John Lewis Customer Services again - this time a very helpful lady called Laura managed to trace the delivery - it appears that my surname had been mis-spelt when I spoke to John Lewis’s originally on 23rd December. And that the person I had spoken to had not followed correct procedure which is why the machine was incorrectly delivered. All was going well until she told me that they couldn’t pick the machine up for another 5 days and they would send me £25 for inconvenience.

I felt that both the timescale to collect was too long and that the “gesture” was paltry in comparison to the amount of inconvenience I had been caused - living around a dishwasher in the hallway, the stress of not knowing if a charge was going to be made for the machine and the amount of time both myself and my wife had taken contacting retailers etc to sort this out - both having taken time out of work to do so. I did suggest that unless they picked up sooner I would leave it on my drive!

I am still not sure if it hadn’t been for our persistence that John Lewis would know where their £670 machine was.

Am I being over dramatic about this - would appreciate any views.

Thanks.

Comments

• JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    So how much compo do you want for all this stress ??
  • iangwilliams20
    Options
    I don't know thats kind of why I posted this here to get a view is £25 reasonable? I feel quite floored by the whole thing and would appreciate some objective views.
  • POPPYOSCAR
    POPPYOSCAR Posts: 14,897 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry your post makes no sense.

What has the mis-spelling of your name got to do with anything?

How could John Lewis charge you without having your details?
  • iangwilliams20
    Options
    They didnt charge me - I didnt give them my card details. Which is why i wasnt expecting the machine to be delivered.
  • BlueHorizonUK
    Options
    I am quite confused here. If you never ordered a machine with JL, why did they send you one?
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    Options
    I don't know thats kind of why I posted this here to get a view is £25 reasonable? I feel quite floored by the whole thing and would appreciate some objective views.

Objective view in my view £25 -£40 as goodwill .

However this is a forum so expect views to be very objective .
  • iangwilliams20
    Options
    That is my point - I never ordered one from them - it was delivered by a third party courier so had no idea where it had come from. If it wasnt for our persistence I dont think JL would know where it was either.
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You can't really put a price on honesty.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,256 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    How did John Lewis know your address?
  • couriervanman
    Options
    JJ_Egan wrote: »
    So how much compo do you want for all this stress ??

Bang.......straight to the point.....i like it:D

OP take the £25 and move on.....unless it has left you distressed/upset & emotionally drained
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure