Noticed some changes? You can read all about the improvements we've made on the Forum in our latest announcement. We also have a new set of Forum rules so please take the time to give them a read and familiarise yourself.

Bookworms 2020

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
509 replies 41.1K views
1454647484951»

Replies

• annieb64annieb64 Forumite
    250 Posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper First Anniversary
    ✭✭
    Raynor Winn's "The Wild Silence" only 99p on Amazon's  Kindle Daily Deal. I read her first book "The Salt Path " and really enjoyed it.
  • BlackcatsBlackcats Forumite
    955 Posts
    500 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    I'd like to add 2 books that I've found beautifully written and poignant - One moment by Linda green and half a world away by mike Gayle.  I actually listened to them on audib*e and the narration was superb.  Both moved me to tears. 
  • Abbafan1972Abbafan1972 Forumite
    6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Blackcats said:
    I'd like to add 2 books that I've found beautifully written and poignant - One moment by Linda green and half a world away by mike Gayle.  I actually listened to them on audib*e and the narration was superb.  Both moved me to tears. 
    I agree - "One Moment" is fabulous and such a lovely read!
    Winging it since 1972

• edited 18 May at 11:05PM
    gettingtheresometimegettingtheresometime Forumite
    6.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 18 May at 11:05PM
    Well I finished Haven't They Grown - I enjoyed it & could see it being made into a TV drama

I've also finished The Sight of You by Holly Miller. It reminded me very much of Me before You and is written in alternative chapters from the perspective of the two main characters, Callie & Joel. 

Currently reading something completely different - The Glamour Boys by MP Chris Bryant. It's about a group of homosexual MPs who used to visit Berlin in the 1930s, due to the liberal attitudes to homosexuality in Germany & saw the warning signs of what the rise of the  Nazi party would mean & how their efforts to warn the govt were dismissed, mainly due to their sexuality.
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott / Argos Card / JD Williams cleared :) thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge
  • gettingtheresometimegettingtheresometime Forumite
    6.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Blackcats said:
    I read Half a World away during the first lockdown & yes I thoroughly enjoyed that as well. Will seek out One Moment, so thank you for the recommendation 
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott / Argos Card / JD Williams cleared :) thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge
  • ruby_eskimoruby_eskimo Forumite
    3.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Put The Children's Book on hold as I couldn't quite get into it, but am determined to finish it before it's due back at the library in June.  In the meantime I read The Red Queen and The Kingmakers Daughter by Philippa Gregory and have ordered the next 2 in the series.  Started Invisible by Paul Auster which is another 1001 book and have placed a few holds at the library ready for when I've finished that.
    Emergency Fund - £4695.03 / £5,000 :: Total Mortgage OP - £3037.51
    LISA 2021 - £662 :: NSD June - 2 / 20 :: Weight Loss: 37.4 / 58lbs :: Decluttering - 400 / 2001 ⭐⭐⭐🏅🏅
    Engaged 9th December 2010 :: Married 29th October 2015 :: Bought a House 13th January 2017
  • gettingtheresometimegettingtheresometime Forumite
    6.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well I finally finished The Glamour Boys - it was obviously well researched but I found it very hard going, perhaps because so much background information had to be given.

I've also finished the audiobook version of 'Big Little Lies'  by Laine Moriarty. Very well narrated and I was engrossed in the story.

Currently listening to 'Because of you' by Dawn French which seems ok and reading 'The Holdout' by Graham Moore
  • Ditzy_MitzyDitzy_Mitzy Forumite
    815 Posts
    500 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    I'm currently reading through G. F. Newman's '!!!!!!' (Terry Sneed) trilogy.  They were a little hard to get, being long out of print, but offer great insight into a vanished world.  They are documentary novels, of a sort no longer written, covering the relationships between the CID and organised crime in Soho and the surrounds.  They run from the mid fifties to the early seventies, and were published before the famous CID corruption trials of the seventies proper.  The books were written in the late sixties to early seventies, somewhat in advance of the story breaking in the press, but are held to be very accurate.  Newman is believed to have had inside sources on both sides of the crime and punishment equation.  The writing doesn't quite have the best modernists' mastery of understatement, but it is functional.  Worth reading, perhaps, if modern gangster novels aren't quite tough enough for you; and greater societal insight is desired.  
  • ruby_eskimoruby_eskimo Forumite
    3.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Haven't updated in a while.  Finished:

- Invisible by Paul Auster: A strange tale of a man who's lost in the world and gets involved with a French diplomat and his girlfriend. 
    - Northern Lights by Philip Pullman: read this as a child and then it was someone's choice at my book club.  Can't believe I read it and was unaffected by some of the events (like children being snatched).  Want to re-read the next 2 but will have to wait for a little bit
    - The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle by Stuart Turton: Follows a man who wakes up with no memory and all he knows is the name Anna.  It's a bit like Groundhog Day mixed with a murder mystery.
    - Wow, No Thank You by Samantha Irby: I wanted to read Meaty, her first collection of essays but this one came in first to the library.  Very amusing and got me through a 3 hour wait at the local minor injuries unit.  Have Meaty and her other collection ready to go.
    - The Madness of Grief by Rev. Richard Coles: I've followed the Reverend on social media for a while and took the plunge to read this book.  It was very eye-opening and put some very difficult emotions into perspective.

Now I'm reading Eat, Pray, Love by Liz Gilbert which has been on my TBR for a number of years and while some of it is a bit too much for me, I'm kind of enjoying it.
    Emergency Fund - £4695.03 / £5,000 :: Total Mortgage OP - £3037.51
    LISA 2021 - £662 :: NSD June - 2 / 20 :: Weight Loss: 37.4 / 58lbs :: Decluttering - 400 / 2001 ⭐⭐⭐🏅🏅
    Engaged 9th December 2010 :: Married 29th October 2015 :: Bought a House 13th January 2017