New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Bookworms 2020

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
456 replies 36.9K views

Replies

• Ditzy_MitzyDitzy_Mitzy Forumite
    524 posts
    500 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭
    One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

I've never seen the film, but this book is a wonderful satire, not just on treatment of people with mental health problems, but on society itself and the way we are expected to conform. Funny and moving, beautiful imagery, too. 
    Oh you really should see the film - it's excellent and does a super job at dramatizing the book.  Have you read 'Catch-22'?  You might like it if not; it's similarly surrealist but funny.  

I've read Catch 22 about four times!  It's one of my favourite books. 
    If you like satire, you'll love The Sellout by Paul Beattie, which won the Booker about 2017, I think. 
    About the black man in L.A. who attempts to bring back segregation?  I know it well :), great fun and I did love it thank you.  
  • edited 15 November 2020 at 9:29PM
    Charly27Charly27 Forumite
    388 posts
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    edited 15 November 2020 at 9:29PM
    Just finished Please Forgive Me by Melissa Hill. Two Stars. Some interesting plot twists but didn’t really care too much about the main character and I got fed up of reading ‘she interjected’ in the dialogue, a little thing, but it grated on me. Now read 49/50 target for 2020.
    Here’s my piles I got from the library and the CS’s before LD2.
    Proud to be dealing with my debts! DF Nerd # 1475
    Books read in 2020 56/50
    2021 52 book club challenge 1/52
    WIP Cross stitch Vervaco pair of Robin bookmarks
  • ruby_eskimoruby_eskimo Forumite
    3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    That's a good selection of books Charly27.

I finished Mendelsohn is on the Roof yesterday - the ending was rather sad but enjoyed the slightly satirical nature of the tale.  Moved on to An Absolutely Remarkable Thing by Hank Green.  I enjoy the novels by his brother John and have heard good things so hopefully it will be good.
    Emergency Fund - £3459.50 / £5,000 :: Total Mortgage OP - £1687.38
    LISA 2020 - £3436 :: NSD January - 9 / 20 :: Weight Loss: 32 / 58lbs
    Engaged 9th December 2010 :: Married 29th October 2015 :: Bought a House 13th January 2017
  • Charly27Charly27 Forumite
    388 posts
    ✭✭
    Sounds interesting Ruby. I’ve started A 1000 splendid suns today. My choice was fairly random but I wanted to challenge myself a bit with genres - couple of autobiographies, a John Grisham, Toni Morison & Judy Finnigan who I’ve never read and one I wanted to read again - To Kill a Mockingbird. Work is crazy at the moment so any progress is likely to be S-l-o-W. 
    Books read in 2020 56/50
    388 posts
    ✭✭
    Hope you are all well and reading. Just finished ‘One Thousand Splendid Suns’. Humbled by my privilege as a woman, to live with the freedoms I enjoy . Mariam and Laila will stay with me for a long time. Beautiful writing and leant so much about Afghanistan and Kabul. Highly recommend. 
    Books read in 2020 56/50
    388 posts
    ✭✭
    Just finished Stephen King’s ‘On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft’. Five stars from me, not only is it a very good explanation of the craft and the nuts and bolts of writing, but also a personal memoir. I haven’t read any Stephen King novels for over twenty years (my first husband was an avid fan, and I suspect that’s the reason) and now I want to. His love and respect for his wife Tammy and his children sing out and he leaves you in no doubt that she is his touchstone.
    He also includes three lists of books he has read at the end, because writers must also read and his lists are as eclectic as all of ours! 
    Now reading A Dog’s Way Home’ by W. Bruce Cameron, new author to me before I start my Christmas list. 
    Pleased and proud that I have accomplished my goal of reading 50 books in 2020 before the end of November. 
    Books read in 2020 56/50
  • annieb64annieb64 Forumite
    180 posts
    100 Posts
    I found One Thousand Splendid  Suns to be one of those books that I couldn't  get out of my head.  I'd  read about how women were treated in countries  like Afghanistan  before but somehow the novel  brought it home to me.
    388 posts
    ✭✭
    I know exactly what you mean annieb64. He doesn’t labour or lecture but you just live through it with the characters who feel so real. I must read The Kite Runner now.
    Books read in 2020 56/50
  • ruby_eskimoruby_eskimo Forumite
    3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've read The Kite Runner but never got round to A Thousand Splendid Suns - have added to the list of requests from the library now though!

Finished An Absolutely Remarkable Thing yesterday - life got in the way so I've been a bit slower with the reading recently.  It didn't progress how I thought it would but still enjoyable.  It's about what happens when a series of giant metal robot-like beings suddenly appear on Earth but they don't do anything, they're like sculptures, which was quite funny to read while the mystery of the monolith in Utah was on the news :lol:  On to The Southern Book Club's Guide to Slaying Vampires - it's my choice for our next book club meeting which I was supposed to host in October but someone needed to swap.
    Emergency Fund - £3459.50 / £5,000 :: Total Mortgage OP - £1687.38
    LISA 2020 - £3436 :: NSD January - 9 / 20 :: Weight Loss: 32 / 58lbs
    Engaged 9th December 2010 :: Married 29th October 2015 :: Bought a House 13th January 2017
  • SymanSyman Forumite
    2.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Charly27 said:
    Just finished Please Forgive Me by Melissa Hill. Two Stars. Some interesting plot twists but didn’t really care too much about the main character and I got fed up of reading ‘she interjected’ in the dialogue, a little thing, but it grated on me. Now read 49/50 target for 2020.
    Here’s my piles I got from the library and the CS’s before LD2.
    The librarian of Auschwitz is a great read. as is the Rainmaker.
    Never put off till tomorrow what you can do today!:mad:
    Cos if you do it today and like it...You can do it again tomorrow.. :p

Bookworm's Thread 2019 reading Challenge total :- 1/60