Forum Home» Phones & TV» TV MoneySaving

Help! Is live TV possible w/out Sky - Page 2

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Help! Is live TV possible w/out Sky

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in TV MoneySaving
27 replies 2K views

Replies

• cajefcajef Forumite
    5.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    If it is Sky Q the LNB will need to be changed as well as returning the box, when I upgraded to Sky Q and the Sky installer changed the LNB I kept the old one so I could change it back if I cancelled SKY.
    I used to have a handle on life, but it broke. :|
  • almillaralmillar Forumite
    8.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    It also comes with Freeview Play which doesn't seem to show live TV.

Freeview Play is great - but it starts with an aerial and adds on nicely integrated on demand services.

Do you have an aerial? Where do your Sky cables go? You could re-use the cables, which aren't exactly right but would do, and put an aerial in the roofspace.
    Is there another benefit to having a free sat box over an aerial?

A Freesat box will plug in exactly where your Sky box was. If it was Sky Q, you probably need to change the LNB (the bit in the middle of the dish). You'll be able to record if you buy a recorder, which your TV alone won't manage (not well, anyway). You can buy a Freeview, or Freesat recorder. Freesat has a lot more channels than Freeview, but probably not great ones. Freeview has some that Freesat doesn't, too.
  • I had Sky Q so they now request that I return the box. Additionally I live in a flat so the dish is shared
  • almillaralmillar Forumite
    8.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    OK Sky Q complicates it a bit because as above, it uses a different LNB to Sky HD and Freesat HD.

How did you get Sky Q installed? When this happened, they would have needed to at least check the shared LNB.

Anyway, what you need, if you want Freesat, is 2 'normal' feeds from the satellite dish. 'Normal' being my definition of everything before Sky Q. It's possible there could be a hybrid LNB, which has both Sky Q and 'normal' outputs. Bottom line, someone needs to see the dish to get any further.
  • cranfordcranford Forumite
    797 posts
    Tenth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    As you live in a flat, if possible check whether there is a communal aerial. There may be a socket somewhere for you to put a coax lead in. This will be the cheapest solution. Failing that you could try a portable aerial such as this one from Argos: https://www.argos.co.uk/product/9308332

If its no good just take it back.
  • Just buy an indoor HD aerial off amazon for a few quid. It’s plug and play.
  • cranford wrote: »
    As you live in a flat, if possible check whether there is a communal aerial. There may be a socket somewhere for you to put a coax lead in. This will be the cheapest solution. Failing that you could try a portable aerial such as this one from Argos
    If its no good just take it back.

Who even uses Argos anymore when you have amazon....for half the price. *facepalm*
  • cranfordcranford Forumite
    797 posts
    Tenth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Millions still use Argos! Easy to take things back and many people are adverse to using Amazon when they pay minimum UK taxes ie £220 millions on sales of £10.9 billions.
  • tempus_fugittempus_fugit Forumite
    984 posts
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    LawyerX1 wrote: »
    Who even uses Argos anymore when you have amazon....for half the price. *facepalm*
    3-12 months interest free credit (if you are lucky enough to have a pre-approved Argos card). ;)
    Retired at age 56 after having "light bulb moment" due to reading MSE and its forums. Have been converted to the "budget to zero" concept and use YNAB for all monthly budgeting and long term goals.

Pedant point: There is no such word or construction as "I's", the word to use is "my".
  • ididntgetwhereiamtodayididntgetwhereiamtoday Forumite
    1.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    I prefer Argos to Amazon whenever possible.
    I didn't get where i am today by not reading moneysavingexpert.com