Anyone doing a dry January 2020? - join me!

Hello there!
Is anyone else out there doing attempting a dry January this year? I'd like to go for it but have not found anyone in my circle of friends to join. Everyone says - yes, we'll support you (but you're on your own) as far as any of them joining me goes. Why is this? Is it really so hard to go one month without any alcohol?
I'm not a big drinker but like few drinks at the weekend, especially my gin & tonic on Fridays after work to mark the end of the working week. I tend to have wine with my meals at the weekend too, mostly really because OH is bit of a foodie and likes wine, so there's always a bottle (or two) open.
I have done dry January once before - long time ago - and found that after the first 2 weeks it got easy and I was just as happy to have my gin & tonic without the gin.
I'm not expecting to feel much different but I am hoping that cutting off alcohol will help towards losing 2kg that I've seemed to have put on during the festivities.... I'm not a fan of diets, so am trying to cut out the unnecessary calories (alcohol, cakes, biscuits, ice cream - but NOT dark chocolate :rotfl:)

Comments

• suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Good for you Mrs Z

I done it last year and lasted until Easter come the end, as you say it becomes easier

I was planning to do it again this year ( also done sober October last year ) but my little sister is coming from Australia and drink will be involved so Im holding off till fab Feb :)

You are right about the weight loss btw, another reason Im holding out till Feb

If you want support from your friends then how about signing up to the charity and get them to sponsor you? I raised £300 for Macmillan in October, that really kept me focused even when I was struggling some days
  • couriervanman
    couriervanman Posts: 1,667 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Too late its already a wet January for me:beer:
  • pattycake
    pattycake Posts: 1,576 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    It’s my husband’s birthday next week then we are off on holiday to celebrate our wedding anniversary. Sorry, but too much celebrating to do for alcohol to be absent!

I like a drink but in normal circumstances it doesn’t feature largely in my life so perhaps I’ll give it go in February. My daughter and her husband are doing Veganuary. Now that sounds tough to me!
  • Mrs_Z
    Mrs_Z Posts: 1,104 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Oh dear.. not takers as yet then!
    My aim is to hold off the drink until the 31st - when it's OH's birthday. So 7 days in so far and 24 to go!
    If the whole month seems too daunting, maybe someone might want to join for part of the way - we still have a good 3 weeks + of January left!
  • Im doing it! so far so good. Last had a drink at 11.50pm on New years eve.

Im planning on running it right up to 27th February, as im on an 8 week gym programme, which ends then, and its also the day I travel to NEW YORK!
    Mortgage = [STRIKE]£113,495 (May 2009)[/STRIKE] £67462.74 Jun 2019
  • thriftylass
    thriftylass Posts: 3,981 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 7 January 2020 at 4:12PM
    I'll join you! If not now then when. There will always be something to celebrate. And I'm guilty of saying "oh couldn't possible stop now there is drinking to be done for x, y and z" Why do we think like that? I also stopped smoking on the 1st. Not done that for years. Here's to a healthy 2020. Also I want to change my attitude towards that strangely socially acceptable drug alcohol. As I get older it agrees with me less :( Plus I used to get comments like (about just having one or 2 cigs a day) why don't I just leave it. When I replied why they don't just not drink that glass of red after work I get blank looks.\

We can do this!
    DEBT 09/23: CC 6347 5120, Other 1763 NSDs 0/20 Planned debt free date: Dec 2024
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,720 Forumite
    Me, although I've allowed myself one possible exception for a close relative's special birthday where I may have one glass.
    Also hoping liqueur chocolates don't count after I troughed a few last night. :)
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • I am! Mainly to avoid pointless calories and aid weight loss, got too comfy in the habit of having a glass of wine or two in the evening, regardless of the day x
  • SSDD23 wrote: »
    I am! Mainly to avoid pointless calories and aid weight loss, got too comfy in the habit of having a glass of wine or two in the evening, regardless of the day x

Alcohol is a killer for counting calories! one bottle of wine and pooof! theres a third of your daily calorie allowance gone. Not to mention the snacking on nuts and crisps etc in the evening that are "mandatory" when having a wee drink in the house.

Im expecting big weightloss from cutting out the drink alone lol
    Mortgage = [STRIKE]£113,495 (May 2009)[/STRIKE] £67462.74 Jun 2019
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,720 Forumite
    I'm not after losing weight, and I only usually have a drink at weekends, but I'm having issues with my sleep pattern (or rather lack of one) so am hoping that cutting out alcohol will be one of a few steps I am taking to try to get good night's kip once in a while. And if it doesn't help, it certainly can't hurt.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure