V4 Telecom refusing to give up broadband line

Options
Has anyone heard of V4 Telecom and had issues with their broadband service?

My elderly parents changed to V4 about 6 months ago to save money. Since then the line drops several times a day and my mother has had more calls with them than I can count trying to resolve and finally trying to cancel. She offered to pay the penalty to leave but they point blank refuse and cite all sorts of reasons why.

She tried to go ahead anyway and contacted Sky to take over the broadband. However when Sky were supposed to go live, their broadband line was suddenly cancelled leaving them with no service at all. Sky told her that V4 refused to release the BT line to them so they could not take over the service.

My poor mother is at her wits end. Surely this cannot be legal, if she is prepared to pay the early exit penalty why won't they allow her to leave? Is there any recourse for her, can she report them for their bullying tactics and lack of service?

Thanks for any advice

Comments

• Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,302 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It's a 24 month "minimum term" contract

They should have got agreement from V4 before switching , which they didn't.

They have a disputes procedure which you now need to use and then the ombudsman if no satisfactory resolution
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • suzyq2909
    suzyq2909 Posts: 75 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    They did finally get agreement to cancel. Problem is, everytime she calls, she speaks to a different person (in an Indian call centre!) who gives a different response or conflicting information.

Their website states "Cancellation fees - due in the event that you cancel a Service during the Minimum Term or without providing the required notice."

She is happy to pay any cancellation fee. The reason for moving is the utterly poor service - as a I said previously, broadband drops out several times a day and the router has to be reset each time.

Surely she cannot be held to ransom in this way?
  • suzyq2909
    suzyq2909 Posts: 75 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I should have also mentioned that she actually has written confirmation from V4 that she can cancel the contract but they still refused to release the line to Sky.
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,302 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income