Regular Savings Accounts: The Best Currently Available List!

Options

Comments

• JamesRobinson48
    Options
    I've just had a letter from the Holmesdale Building Society informing me that the interest rate on its current Regular Saver (Issue 3) will increase from 2.00% to 2.25%, from 1st January 2018.
  • stoozie1
    stoozie1 Posts: 656 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all,

Stupid maths question really, relating to the Swansea Regular Saver paying the monthly interest into another account (meaning no compounding of the interest) I am guessing this means that the yearly interest accrued isn't the one predicted by regular savings calculators?

Would anyone be kind enough to give me the excel formula they use to calculate yearly interest on this one, please?
    Save 12 k in 2018 challenge member #79
    Target 2018: 24k Jan 2018- £560 April £2670
  • polymaff
    polymaff Posts: 3,904 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    stoozie1 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Stupid maths question really, relating to the Swansea Regular Saver paying the monthly interest into another account (meaning no compounding of the interest) I am guessing this means that the yearly interest accrued isn't the one predicted by regular savings calculators?

Would anyone be kind enough to give me the excel formula they use to calculate yearly interest on this one, please?

Isn't this account really a compounding account with easy access? You won't be far out with the standard 6.5/12 formula. For a precise answer you'd need to factor in the significance of working days throughout the year - and the latency of your withdrawals.
  • stoozie1
    stoozie1 Posts: 656 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks, I'll use that formula. Sorry for my Christmas-addled brain!
    Save 12 k in 2018 challenge member #79
    Target 2018: 24k Jan 2018- £560 April £2670
  • Speculator
    Speculator Posts: 2,225 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just opened a BOS monthly saver and transferred £250 from my BOS vantage account. Only problem is the £250 credit is dated 2nd Jan on my monthly saver although it says "Speculator 30DEC17" in the description.

Can anyone confirm it would be okay to make another deposit on the 2nd Jan?
  • greenglide
    greenglide Posts: 3,301 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    Options
    The BOS monthly saver requires the payment to be made on or before 25th of the month to count as "this month".

If your was after 25th it is counted as a January payment and you cannot make another.
  • studentsaver_88
    Options
    How do you get 3% the website only is offering me 1%
  • Speculator
    Speculator Posts: 2,225 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 31 December 2017 at 12:46PM
    Options
    greenglide wrote: »
    The BOS monthly saver requires the payment to be made on or before 25th of the month to count as "this month".

If your was after 25th it is counted as a January payment and you cannot make another.

Thanks.

I was told the exact opposite by BOS helpline yesterday. She insisted I could make a payment in January so I asked her for written confirmation but she refused.

Since you are allowed to miss payments, I will ignore the advice from their helpline and make my next payment in February to be safe.
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Speculator wrote: »
    Thanks.

I was told the exact opposite by BOS helpline yesterday. She insisted I could make a payment in January so I asked her for written confirmation but she refused.

Since you are allowed to miss payments, I will ignore the advice from their helpline and make my next payment in February to be safe.
    I'd make one in January, for 3 reasons:

1. The T&Cs don't mention a penalty for double funding.
    2. It's the standing order that must reach the account by the 25th of the month, not the initial transfer.
    3. The BOS helpline CSA seems to agree about point 2, and you made a note of the date/time/name. :)
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,194 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    How do you get 3% the website only is offering me 1%
    As mentioned in post #6863 further up the page, it'll help if you make it clear exactly which post you're replying to, as it really isn't obvious (to me at least) which of the many thousands of posts (or which 3% account or bank/website) you're referring to....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure