Regular Savings Accounts: The Best Currently Available List!

Options

Comments

• adindas
    adindas Posts: 6,814 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 8 September 2017 at 8:52AM
    Options
    mhoc wrote: »
    Have I made that up - just wondering where I got my info from now or if I misread something somewhere ......
    I know I have only ever had one flexdirect at a time but I seemed to think you could have 3 different ones running at the same time.

You could open three if you want but they just pay you one Flex Direct with 5% interest, for the other two they will just pay you 1% interest. The algorithm will pick you up that you have more than one FD AC. This is based on my personal experience.

Also this has been reported by a few people on here.

But If you already manage to open three please feed the forum your finding.
  • BeachNut
    BeachNut Posts: 122 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    hgt wrote: »
    Is there any way to downgrade a FlexDirect to a standard FlexAccount online? I'll be needing to do this soon as my 12 months is almost up.

Not online.
    And you don't need to do it straight away. Can be done in 12 months time when you want to start the 5% again.
  • hgt
    hgt Posts: 329 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    BeachNut wrote: »
    Not online.
    And you don't need to do it straight away. Can be done in 12 months time when you want to start the 5% again.

Ah that's good to know.... So if I've understood this right, in theory (presuming the 5% Flex Direct was still available in 12 months time) I could leave the Flex Direct account alone after the rate drops to 1%, then call up in 11 months for example to have it downgraded to a Flex Account, then in theory just upgrade online back to a Flex Direct and should then earn the 5% for another year?
  • Eco_Miser
    Eco_Miser Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    In theory, no, as the condition is to not have had a Flex Direct for 12 months, rather than not getting 5% for 12 months; in practice, possibly, as has been reported to have happened many times in the recent past.
    However it has been reported here that the loophole has been/is going to be closed.
    Eco Miser
    Saving money for well over half a century
  • schiff
    schiff Posts: 20,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    All this conjecture about what might happen in 12 months' time!

We could be at war with North Korea by then.

Or worse :(
  • MarkFromCornwall
    Options
    schiff wrote: »

Who is "we" ?
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    hgt wrote: »
    Ah that's good to know.... So if I've understood this right, in theory (presuming the 5% Flex Direct was still available in 12 months time) I could leave the Flex Direct account alone after the rate drops to 1%, then call up in 11 months for example to have it downgraded to a Flex Account, then in theory just upgrade online back to a Flex Direct and should then earn the 5% for another year?

This has been a controversial point as people have been given different information from Nationwide. I have twice been told that you can keep the accounts paying 1% then downgrade and upgrade in 12 months, if the 5% offer is still available, but my local branch insist that you have to be without the Direct account for 12 months.

They say this is strictly by the book and I do agree that this is what the T&Cs imply. However, when I asked the CS person, who said she was at the head office, if her information was correct, after quoting the relevant part of the T&Cs,she said she was correct and that my local branch would be contacted sothey were informed.

I've decide to play it safe, downgrade the two sole accounts (leaving in a few pounds only),so my husband and I can have new savers in a few months ,closing the joint account, as that is no use for obtaining a saver and putting the majority of the money into Lloyds, who pay 2%,with perks.
  • schiff
    schiff Posts: 20,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Who is "we" ?

Thatcher's Falklands will become May's North Korea!
  • Archi_Bald
    Archi_Bald Posts: 9,681 Forumite
    Options

Please note that you cannot open a Regular Saver (Issue 7) if you already have a Regular Saver (Issue 5 or 6).
    I believe their system does allow you to open one. They will then manually close it within a few days.
  • Eco_Miser
    Eco_Miser Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    Options
    schiff wrote: »
    All this conjecture about what might happen in 12 months' time!

Or we may not be - that's just more conjecture.

This is the Savings and Investments board. We generally have to assume life and banking will continue much as it has been, or else we may just as well spend as much as we can before the end of the world.
    Eco Miser
    Saving money for well over half a century
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family