We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Regular Savings Accounts: The Best Currently Available List!

Comments

• Hi Everybody,

I have completed this weekend's update.

- Both of the Skipton BS regular savings accounts have been withdrawn

There is nothing else that I can find to change this weekends. I will do another update next weekend.

SS2

For those new to this thread, the first few posts are constantly updated and are here: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...=608697&page=1
  • Britannia cutting the interest rate on the select saver account issue 4. From 1.5% to 1%. Effective from 12th March. Truly shocking what is happening. What it means for me is that I will max my Stocks and Shares ISA from day one of the new tax year and increase my pension contributions for the foreseeable future.
  • MARTYM8`
    MARTYM8` Posts: 1,212 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary First Post
    RobStaffs wrote: »
    Britannia cutting the interest rate on the select saver account issue 4. From 1.5% to 1%. Effective from 12th March. Truly shocking what is happening. What it means for me is that I will max my Stocks and Shares ISA from day one of the new tax year and increase my pension contributions for the foreseeable future.

Not shocking - quite deliberate by the government to cut mortgage rates/boost house prices via funding for lending/more QE which means banks are awash with cash and don't need savers funds as much as they used to. I hope those pensioners enjoying those one year fixed rate pensioner bonds join up the dots and wonder why rates have been so poor for the last 2 years.

Still you can get some good regular savers - either as part of current accounts or with some of the building societies. As this thread illustrates - 3 or 4% plus is possible.
  • MARTYM8` wrote: »
    Not shocking - quite deliberate by the government to cut mortgage rates/boost house prices via funding for lending/more QE which means banks are awash with cash and don't need savers funds as much as they used to. I hope those pensioners enjoying those one year fixed rate pensioner bonds join up the dots and wonder why rates have been so poor for the last 2 years.

Still you can get some good regular savers - either as part of current accounts or with some of the building societies. As this thread illustrates - 3 or 4% plus is possible.

Yes already maxed on the Santander 1-2-3 account so covered there. The other current accounts are not really that appealing in terms of the maximum interest you can earn annually vs the total hassle of setting them up.
  • IanIan wrote: »
    I have spoken to the Market Harborough people. The answer is that the 2% rate (which I am on at the moment) is 1.5% plus a bonus of 0.5%. The bonus remains, for the first year only, but the interest rate falls to 1.1%. Therefore, from 23rd February to the anniversary of opening my account I'll receive 1.6%.

That's what they told me. Very annoyed one month into a 12 month deal and they are pulling out on their offer, not even sure they are allowed to do that. Worst bit is if you go and look on their site now they have issue 3 available and the interest rate is back up to what we were offered when we opened ours but they have restricted the postcodes. Very unethical on all fronts :mad:. They are saying we can withdraw our money with no penalty but they couldn't hold us to a deal they have not honoured!
  • RobStaffs
    RobStaffs Posts: 308 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 18 February 2015 at 8:33AM
    Apologies if this one has already been posted but Leek BS have a regular saver paying 2.25%, maximum of £500pm with one withdrawal per annum. Branch account only I am afraid. Have I got this wrong? Returns £62 pa? Hardly worth it.
  • SuiDreams
    SuiDreams Posts: 2,393 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I've opened the M&S current account for acces to the reg saver only. I was thinking of opening the HSBC advance account for the same reason, has anyone had any problems doing this?
  • Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped! Rampant Recycler Home Insurance Hacker! Energy Saving Champion
    edited 18 February 2015 at 4:54PM
    SuiDreams wrote: »
    I've opened the M&S current account for acces to the reg saver only. I was thinking of opening the HSBC advance account for the same reason, has anyone had any problems doing this?

They didn't want to know me Sui on the 4% Regular Saver, thought maybe because I already had FD 6%..... but since done the M&S 6% so you lose some etc.
  • SuiDreams
    SuiDreams Posts: 2,393 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Ken68 wrote: »
    They didn't want to know me Sui on the 4% Regular Saver, thought maybe because I already had FD 6%..... but since done the M&S 6% since so you lose some etc.

I'm a FD customer as well, but use the account regularly and have other accounts as well. and only had M&S since last month
  • Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped! Rampant Recycler Home Insurance Hacker! Energy Saving Champion
    Good for you Sui, go for it. Have you tried the switching accounts game yet? Free money.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 345.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 251K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 451K Spending & Discounts
  • 237.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 612.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 174.3K Life & Family
  • 251K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.