Regular Savings Accounts: The Best Currently Available List!

Options

Comments

• johnmoney05
    johnmoney05 Posts: 1,484 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just noticed the account below on the first page can be applied online.

Newcastle BS Big Home Saver

Interest rate: 2.98% gross p.a. / 3.02% gross AER variable
    Monthly payment: £1-£500
    Miss any payments: Yes, but you earn a lower interest rate in any month you miss a payment
    Penalty-free withdrawals: No, you will earn a lower interest rate on the entire account balance in any month you make a withdrawal
    Age of applicant: Not stated
    How to open account: Branch (not currently available by post according to a note on their website)
    Special conditions: As far as I can see, you do not have to take out a mortgage with Newcastle BS to earn this interest rate. If you do take out a mortgage with Newcastle BS after holding this account for at least 12 months then you will receive a £500 or £1,000 cash bonus.
  • Special_Saver2
    Special_Saver2 Posts: 1,410 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 28 March 2014 at 9:46PM
    Options
    Hi Everybody,

Here is this weekend's update.

Thanks to johnmoney05 for the post above. He is quite right - the Newcastle BS page has a new banner on the front page saying that the account can now be opened online and the page with details shows that it can also be opened by post again. I have updated the first page of this thread accordingly.

I have also added the new 5% TSB current account to post 9. You can see more details in this thread. I will add more details on Sunday when the account is formally launched.

I will do another update next weekend.

SS2
    For those new to this thread, the first few posts are constantly updated and are here: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...=608697&page=1
  • tightfisteddave
    Options
    Thanks Johnmoney - just opened one of the Newcastle ones online.

One of my passwords was davidginola but the terms & conditions recommended that I didn't write that down or tell anyone.
  • wmb194
    wmb194 Posts: 3,392 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    There's a Lloyds Club 4% 400pm monthly saver* available now to people who have a Lloyds Club current account (I changed a Vantage a/c to one very painlessly this morning).

*I'm not allowed to post a link.
  • Archi_Bald
    Archi_Bald Posts: 9,681 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 30 March 2014 at 3:06PM
    Options
    Two new feeder accounts:

Club Lloyds

TSB Plus

As already mentioned, also the new Club Lloyds Monthly Saver.
  • Special_Saver2
    Special_Saver2 Posts: 1,410 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks for the information, they look like good accounts. I have now added the Lloyds accounts to posts 5 and 9.

SS2
    For those new to this thread, the first few posts are constantly updated and are here: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...=608697&page=1
  • PeakOwl
    PeakOwl Posts: 56 Forumite
    Options
    Just opened a Newcastle BS Big Home Saver account, but it would seem the only way to continue funding it is by filling out a Standing Order form? Anyone know if this is correct. Was hoping I could set up a monthly payment online from my main bank account, so if needs be, I could vary the size of the payments going in from month to month...
  • patientperson
    Options
    Details of Newcastle Big Home Saver clearly states variable monthly amounts are okay .. minimum £1 pm / maximum £500 pm.

You could set up a monthly payment using your online bank with a fixed amount of £1 so as not to miss a month. Then just make an additional payment via online banking each month as required .. your Newcastle bank code and account details are already set up. As an alternative set up with £1 pm and just modify the amount each month doing this a few days prior to the money leaving your account.

http://www.newcastle.co.uk/savings/big-home-saver.aspx
  • PeakOwl
    PeakOwl Posts: 56 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you very much for your reply, patientperson. Your first suggestion is pretty much what I'd hoped I could do, so will set up the £1/month Standing order and then top up with whatever I can each month (as my disposable income is likely to vary quite a bit from month to month).
  • Money_Man_Steve
    Money_Man_Steve Posts: 506 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 2 April 2014 at 10:45AM
    Options
    With regards to the feeder accounts, TSB Enhance and Lloyds Vantage are no longer available to new customers (having been replaced by the TSB Plus and Club Lloyds accounts respectively). The Lloyds Vantage page states that it is also no longer available as an upgrade to existing customers, whereas the TSB Enhance page does not explicitly state this.

However, the Bank of Scotland Vantage option is still available, at least for the time being.

Do any existing TSB Enhance/Lloyds Vantage customers know if the new TSB Plus/Club Lloyds accounts can be opened in addition to the maximum of three Enhance/Vantage accounts per person, or whether the new TSB Plus/Club Lloyds has to be instead of an existing Enhance/Vantage account?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure