Which S&S ISA to start investing?

so I have had a virgin ISA for a few years now - I picked a fund and it just ticks over now and looks after itself.

I'd now like to have a go at buying some shares,and as a cautious person, don't have massive amounts to play with. - I suspect I would make 1-3 investments in a year -maybe at £200 each - yes £600 in total

so...which are the best ones to go for - any recommendations as i'm aware that my small investment amounts, that fees could eat away any possible gains. here are a few i've shortlisted

halifax - £12.50 per deal, £12.50 admin per year so 1 deal=£25, 2 deal = £37.50, 3 deal £50

Hargreaves LD - £11.95 per deal and 0.45% annual charge - works out cheaper than halifax on the above scenario

Freetrade - blanket fee £3 per month = £36 per year

X-O - £5.95 per trade but noticed in small print its £50+VAT to close the account

AJ Bell - custody 0.25%, £9.95 per trade (so cheaper than HLD & halifax)

vanguard - 0.15% and £7.50 per trade

so have i got this right and vanguard is the best one?

thanks

Comments

• masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,245 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    You've left out iWeb, which is potentially one of the cheapest. Vanguard probably doesn't allow you to buy and sell company shares if that's what you are intending.

It would be unwise to do as you suggest for a number of reasons:
    - you've indicated you are a 'cautious person'
    - single company investing is very high risk
    - you don't have enough capital to properly diversify
    - you don't have enough capital to trade cost-effectively
  • masonic wrote: »
    You've left out iWeb, which is potentially one of the cheapest. Vanguard probably doesn't allow you to buy and sell company shares if that's what you are intending.

It would be unwise to do as you suggest for a number of reasons:
    - you've indicated you are a 'cautious person'
    - single company investing is very high risk
    - you don't have enough capital to properly diversify
    - you don't have enough capital to trade cost-effectively

How much capital would you say that you need to trade cost effectively and diversify?
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,245 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    fuzzynavel wrote: »
    How much capital would you say that you need to trade cost effectively and diversify?
    I would suggest you'd need at least 20 shares to make up a minimally diversified portfolio and you'd want to keep your costs under that of holding a comparable fund. It could be done cost effectively with as little as £3k at Freetrade, or 2-3 times that at a more mainstream provider.
  • Buying and selling individual shares is a gamble, by your own admission you are a cautious person and you don't have significant money to play with. So why trade shares? You won't make any money as given your low level of investment the fees will swallow any profit you make.
  • bhjm
    bhjm Posts: 341 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    sounds like you are very new and young to investing. Instead of diversifying your portfolio yourself - it might be worth to look into ETF rather than shares.

ETFs are made out of sometimes hundreds of different shares and/or bonds

also cheaper to buy

if you still want to go very cheap with shares only , maybe degiro is worth a look to look out for.
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 22,042 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    I'd now like to have a go at buying some shares,and as a cautious person
    A contradictory statement - cautious and buying individual shares …
    Suggest you put your money into that Virgin fund instead.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure