PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge

Options

Comments

• keepcalmandcraft
    Options
    I’m just catching up on the Christmas Sewing Bee. Did anyone else see it?  Esme was wearing a crocheted granny square jacket! 
    Stash busting challenge 2024: 3/100 £0/£50 Fashion on the ration 2024: 0/66
  • PollyWollyDoodle
    PollyWollyDoodle Posts: 2,058 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 28 December 2020 at 10:53AM
    Options
    Yes!  Just watched it. 
    Pip, re the Awards system - dunno, I have not spent much at all this year but that’s because my preference is always to buy secondhand, and of course charity shops have hardly been open.* I suppose the opportunities for online shopping have still been there.

Edited to add: I just realise the idiocy of that remark, because secondhand doesn’t count for coupons anyway!

Can I query the cost for a pair of running leggings? Are they classed as trousers (5 coupons) or are they closer to pyjama trousers, which would be 4?  I am just doing my summary, and it’s mostly shoes and running gear this year. I found some leggings with pockets which are just fabulous. 
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • thriftwizard
    Options
    Hmmm, hard one... I'd be happy with 48, but would that be unrealistically hard for newcomers to the village?
    Angie - GC April 24 £532.07/£480 - oops: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,048 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 28 December 2020 at 1:30PM
    Options

@CraftyLittleLisa, my sympathies.  Hopefully, it won’t be painful for long.  Just strap it to its neighbour for support and, if you’re feeling brave - or up early in the morning - make a visit to Accident & Emergency to get it x-rayed.   (The quietest time in A&E is around 6am.). I’ve broken a couple of toes over the years as well, the most memorable being when I inexplicably kicked an umbrella stand.  It wasn’t anywhere near where I was walking, so I still don’t know how I did it...

Should we change platinum to 48 coupons or less?  (Remember the ration dropped to 48 coupons by 1944.). Gold could be 49-66 coupons, silver 67-76 and bronze 77-90.  What do you think?

- Pip
    I have a bit of a record of broken toes, but can't claim an umbrella stand! Mine were:
    1) climbing out of the swimming baths
    2) falling over a vacuum cleaner while pregnant and saving the bump
    3) tripping over the doorstep on a hot day when I was barefoot
    4) falling through the loft hatch

For some reason it's always the right foot - and my Mum broke a toe on the right, in which the bone never re-joined, so really I think I've got away with it lightly. I have osteopenia so maybe I can't entirely blame carelessness. 

Awards... how long has the challenge been going? I think you said three years? I read that clothing coupons were introduced in June, 1941, so after three years we should probably reduce to 48 coupons - I wonder if they were allowed to carry coupons over in those days? Or do I need to go on a spending spree?
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,048 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    PS: @Cherryfudge, I owe you an apology regarding the Much Mending/Little Mending issue.  You were right.  We did originally decide that the village hall is in Little Mending on the Borrow, with people like Margot Leadbetter living up the hill in Much Mending on the Rise.  (Yes, I’ve been re-reading the entire thread.)

Let’s keep the two of them as hamlets, amalgamated together the much larger village of Much Mending.  (Or is that too controversial?)  That’ll make things easier for the athletics club.

- Pip
    As for the village, I believe @PipneyJane is right and the hamlet of Little Mending on the Borrow and the village of Much Mending are considered (by some...) to be one village although of course we who live here know they are not *quite* the same... 
    I am completely confused but will bow to your much more recent research. :) I don't know whether I'm coming or going some of the time so I really don't mind.

On to urgent things: I have one and a half coupons spent on acrylic yarn - it was going to be for mending but I'm not happy with the colour match and it's too late to take it back so it goes in the stash. I will look up the wool supplier @PipneyJane sent me a list for, and try again for a match.

And in a seriously weird twist (get it?) to the tale (tail), my latest course is on creative problem solving and the first assignment was to create a monster so I knitted one. More sensible people drew them, but I'm rather fond of mine and it's taught me the I-cord so I'm happy with that, too.
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • PollyWollyDoodle
    Options
    Thanks Pip, I hadn’t realised there was a coupon value for leggings. I don’t think these are any more substantial, so I will put them down for two coupons. 
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback