We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

2020: Becoming a Saver, Not a Spender

Options

Comments

• joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,665 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I've never found greaseproof much good to stop the sticking if I'm honest!  Baking parchment would probably work but that of course is much more expensive.  Have you tried only cooking for half the time and then respraying as you turn them over?  That might work.  I only use a spray as well and only find the odd bit here and there sticks, although I do use a non-stick tray (which admittedly is extremely old so virtually no non-stick left on it!  it's at least 30+ years old as I bought it when I lived in a rented property and have been a home owner for 30 years.

Good luck with whatever you decide to try next!

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    joedenise said:
    I've never found greaseproof much good to stop the sticking if I'm honest!  Baking parchment would probably work but that of course is much more expensive.  Have you tried only cooking for half the time and then respraying as you turn them over?  That might work.  I only use a spray as well and only find the odd bit here and there sticks, although I do use a non-stick tray (which admittedly is extremely old so virtually no non-stick left on it!  it's at least 30+ years old as I bought it when I lived in a rented property and have been a home owner for 30 years.

Good luck with whatever you decide to try next!

The respraying may well work, I shall give that a go next time to see if it helps. Now if only I could track down some darned Chinese 5 Spice to make Kung Po Pork :joy:
  • joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,665 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    If you've got some spices in your cupboard you could mix your own!  There's loads of recipes online including the BBC Food website.  I mix a lot of my own spice mixes, although have to say I've never done 5 spice as I don't use it that often so just buy that!

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Morning everyone :)

Not much to check in with today, hit the 50 point mark on PL yesterday so that should land in my Monzo account early July. Anything that’s not planned bills will get moved out of my HFX account on payday so thats just left to tick over and I will use my Monzo account to save and spend from the pots. 

Can’t remember if I  said before but we have increased our food budget as we always go over so at least time it’s budgeted for as I have reduced my bills payment to OH, which means the extra won’t be coming out of my own pocket unplanned every week, that should definitely help things. 

I went through my two email accounts and unsubscribed to anything that isn’t important, and asked on FB not to see ads from the companies that always lead to me online shopping  :D

Todays to-do list looks something like:

Update my phone number with a couple of companies 
    Keep hydrated
    Water both the gardens
    Hang out the washing that I used an 18-hour delay timer for yesterday evening 
    Do some whites on a quick wash when I get in and hang that all to dry 

This then leaves me up to date with the washing for the week, and OH and I can work through the ironing over the weekend. It will be nice not having to play catch up!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Uuuuuuuuuuurgh well we have just had an email from our estate agents that I suspected was coming given our tenancy is nearly at the 12 months and they've suddenly want to book in lots of safety checks - the landlords want to sell. We can stay on a periodic tenancy whilst they test it on the market for 3-4 months, and get another fixed tenancy if it doesn't work out, or look for somewhere else straightaway.

I can't even think about this right now, too stressful.
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,944 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Blimey.
    That is really stressful.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • DancingInTheRain
    Options
    Oh no, sounds stressful. Deep breaths and take each day as it comes x
  • FootyFanDan
    FootyFanDan Posts: 1,388 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Ah no, that sounds like could be a stressful time. Try remain as upbeat as possible x
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I feel okayish today. We’re hoping to view the only affordable property next week that’s currently on right move, failing that we will just have to sit tight and see what happens as there’s nothing else in our local area at the moment. 

Had my phone assessment, all went well. It was due to the fact I declared I have had anxiety and take medication but he said he was more than happy to sign me off as fit for the job so that’s another hurdle down :) 

Last food shop for my Nan today, she is going to start going out again next week and doing her shopping. As much as I haven’t minded doing it, it will be nice to chill again on my lunch breaks :) 

Need to put petrol in my car earlier than planned, but £10 should tide me over to payday. The only driving I should be doing over the weekend is to the tip on Sunday which is 5 minutes down the road. 

Need to get the kitten some more food when shopping for Nan as it’s usually on offer, other than that no spends planned. Popping to see our friends in their garden after I finish work for a little bit, then home for an early night as we are both tired thanks to last night being so hot! I am glad I watered the gardens despite the stormy forecast as nothing has hit here yet :joy:
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,944 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Great news on the health sign off  :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure