PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

In agony over selling or sticking with sole BTL

Options

Comments

• mrsmumbles
    Options
    GDB2222 wrote: »
    Surely, for CGT purposes, it’s the date of the contract that counts, not completion?

One thing that you can do to speed up a sale is instruct a solicitor now, and get him to carry out the searches on behalf of your potential buyers. That’s going to cost a few hundred pounds, but the searches are one of the main things that holds up exchange of contracts. If you sell, the buyers will pay for the searches. Of course, if you don’t sell, it’s just wasted costs.

That is a great idea. Will start on this tomorrow.
    " I refuse to allow the banker to be the only one who laughs!":beer:
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    mrsmumbles wrote: »
    Accountant and I did the sums and it is losing a tax break of £40,000 plus overall cgt liability coming in at around £25k.

The auction lot have been utterly useless. Have called three. Very unhelpful. Have missed deadlines for the feb ones and even if I had not, they all wanted to list it at £200 k with a tiny reserve. Useless. The one bed opposite my one bed flat went last Summer for 285!
    So to save £25k, you'd be losing £85k...
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,697 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Accountant and I did the sums and it is losing a tax break of £40,000 plus overall cgt liability coming in at around £25k.

The auction lot have been utterly useless. Have called three. Very unhelpful. Have missed deadlines for the feb ones and even if I had not, they all wanted to list it at £200 k with a tiny reserve. Useless. The one bed opposite my one bed flat went last Summer for 285!

So will try to sell it and see if any interest is generated.

Really hacked off and bored now with doing EVERYTHING for the freeholders and unable to sell for so little. Stuck and skint. Osbo should have his eyes gouged out. Wish i had sold last year.

Did you ask the accountant how much more tax you will pay if you delay into the new tax year? Based on your figures above, I think it’s between £8000 and £11,200. That’s significant, certainly, but not worth selling at fire sale prices in a hurry.
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • mrsmumbles
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »
    So to save £25k, you'd be losing £85k...

At auction I would. Got my valuations back today and they think stick it on at around 289 with a view to getting between 280-285. It is worth trying. I just have to decide if I could let it go for 270 to 275 for a fast sale.
  • mrsmumbles
    Options
    GDB2222 wrote: »
    Did you ask the accountant how much more tax you will pay if you delay into the new tax year? Based on your figures above, I think it’s between £8000 and £11,200. That’s significant, certainly, but not worth selling at fire sale prices in a hurry.

No it was closer to 25K. CGT will be high as rented out for 12 years now. There are other factors pushing the sale, exhaustion being one. If it doesn't sell, I will carry on renting, but it is becoming less and less worth it for more and more unpaid effort. We shall see.
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options

So will try to sell it and see if any interest is generated.

Really hacked off and bored now with doing EVERYTHING for the freeholders and unable to sell for so little. Stuck and skint. Osbo should have his eyes gouged out. Wish i had sold last year.

How did Osbo drop the price of your flat again?
  • mrsmumbles
    Options
    Oh dear...
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I would be saying more than "Oh Dear" looking at a 85k loss TBH!
  • mrsmumbles
    Options
    I don’t get your point. Osbo put through a lot of these changes to tax law, didn't he?

Property now on the market. So much has gone on since last post and really am not sure whether to hang on for a bit or sell. The property is now listed and I realise the tenant is going, mutual decision. But it is now listed with an agent. Now I think I should keep it as my yield is pretty good. Just really uncertain...first on whether to sell, second on whether I can in time, then lastly whether I shoukd at all.
  • lees80
    lees80 Posts: 160 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I think you're taking the !!!! to be honest!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure