Can't remember all debt collectors

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in IVA & DRO
2 replies 873 views
chopsie77chopsie77 Forumite
1 Post
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in IVA & DRO
Hi, all, I'm sorry to ask this as I'm sure it's been asked before (but I cannot find it!).
I have been advised to go for a DRO, but I am struggling to find who I owe money to as the debts have been sold on numerous times. Canni just put the original creditor down?

Replies

• sourcratessourcrates Forumite, Board Guide
    23.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You need to get on the phone and start ringing around, look on your credit files, all your accounts should show on at least one of the 3 credit reference agencies, contact the original creditor and simply ask them who they sold the account too.

You must get this information 100% correct for a DRO, its not like bankrupcy, where all your debt is included, listed or not, in a DRO you must list each creditor and the balance owed on the day you apply, its critical you get this right.

So phone around and get the information you need, you have to be pro-active here to help yourself, and sometimes a little legwork is required.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File and Ratings, Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to:
    [email protected].
    Any views expressed are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
    "I don`t trust Bankers, I don`t trust Banks, and I don`t trust you.........Private Frazer".
    For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, CitizensAdviceBureaux.
  • fatbellyfatbelly Forumite
    16.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Cashback Cashier
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's better to put the original creditor, with original reference number, than put nothing at all. But you are making a problem for yourself as the current owner will not be informed of he DRO by the DRO team.

Sourcrates is right that a bit of leg work now will make life easier later.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Top savings accounts

Up to 1.7% fixed or 0.6% easy access

MSE Guides

24 craft beers for £26 delivered

Flavourly newbies only (norm £70ish)

MSE Deals