PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

January 2020 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• Two days in and €18 spent.
    Bread, milk, bananas, butter, cereal for work, and a special offer 24 pack of diet coke cans.

We've been getting through a LOT of bread and milk lately!
    Attempting to stay on track in the Grocery Challenge!

Occasionally blogging at CookingTheBooks!
  • Yesterday I spent £29.10, mostly on fresh fruit and veg. My total grocery bill so far is £60.78. Hopefully that should be it until the end of next week.
    12K in 2020 #85 £215.53/£3K, Virtual Sealed Pot Challenge #11 £34.31/£300, Frugal Living Challenge 2020, Grocery Challenge Jan 2020 £265.54/£450
  • pamsdish
    pamsdish Posts: 2,585 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Neighbour talked me into going to Asda, I did want courgettes and as I really dislike asking anyone to do things for me I went, £6.78 on 1/2 leg lamb, smoked salmon and a bag of bistro salad, all y.s. the only item full price was the courgettes.
    Do I need it or just want it.
  • thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,666 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 3 January 2020 at 7:05PM
    Flying past to add £40 to my total, spent on fruit, veg, eggs (I've only got one Girl in lay just now) and some red meat, which has been in short supply over the festivities! I haven't worked out the exact total, which will have been a bit less than that, but I'll do that & adjust the total later, after returning DS3 to uni. I will need to buy more bread & possibly one or two more fresh things over the rest of the weekend, but I haven't had a chance to take stock properly & work out what we really need yet.

ETA: Correction made; I'd actually spent £36.50. And son safely returned to the great city on the other side of The Forest, without any expenditure happening! That's likely to occur early next week, when I take his twin sister over there to visit the Scandinavian furniture emporium, then we'll take him out to lunch...
    Angie - GC April 24 £432.06/£480: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • purpleybat
    purpleybat Posts: 477 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    hello all

small spend today for some spuds, milk bread etc. £4.22 spent.

i do need to do a wine shop tomorrow but that comes from a different budget, i was good over crimble and didnt buy any in so have used up quite a lot of what i would normally keep in. seeing as none is vintage i see no good reason to have it to hand.

todays freezer surprise dinner is vegetarian lidl pies that i think are quite quiche like (if i remember rightly) with above spuds and veg. they were bought off the 20p shelf a few months back
  • Lots of toiletries/teas on sale today in the SM, so I'm starting 2020 as I mean to go on by blowing up half the budget in the first few days...!

£49.22/£100, but that will hopefully see me until half way through the month.
    Start mortgage date: August 2022; Start mortgage amount: £240,999; Original mortgage free date: August 2056
    Current mortgage amount: £233.529.75
    Start student loan 2012: £29,750; current student loan: £11.400.50; OP offset fund: £750
  • We did a bulk shop today; £61.53 spent.

Tofu and vegetable stir fry with soba noodles for my dinner tonight.
    Cheesy pasta for OHs dinner tonight.

£91.26/£240.
    £148.74 left.
    I am a vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy :D
  • lantanna
    lantanna Posts: 4,391 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    £15 spent today on lunch out for me and a friend. Rest of weekends food/drinks come from stocks so shud be ok
  • zafiro1984
    zafiro1984 Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    madwife28 wrote: »
    2 chickens and a cat
    Madwife28

A little off the grocery theme but I've one chicken left and she's laying 5 eggs a week at the moment. This time last year I had 87 chickens but they were the commercial brown ones bred to lay eggs, they were at least 3-4yrs old so over last year I wasn't surprised to find them regularly dropping off their perches. A cold weather snap early December finished them all off except one. I felt sorry for her but you can't have one chicken living in a house made for 150 so she lives with the horses and has found a nice warm place under the hot water pipes which is where I find her almost daily egg!!

Back to the groceries - first spend since before Christmas £13.11 at MrS... yellow stickers mainly
  • Jacs205
    Jacs205 Posts: 41 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Newbie here, how do you all do this - is it a case of drawing cash out and keeping to that? My background is still have two grown up kids and one of their partners in the house but really I am just buying groceries for hubby, pets and I (well bread and snacks get used by all) but I still go shopping like I'm feeding a family of five. I'd really like to stop buying for a siege since I've got a freezer, tin cupboard, 2 dried food cupboards and snack cupboard rammed full. I'd love to just spend £200 until I get paid in four weeks and wonder if I'd be better just taking that out then going out with no bank card?

Sorry for long post! Thanks for any replies
    Tight, Scottish Vegan :) saving for a camper van to retire to
    May grocery challenge £600/207.57 left
    2020 1p savings challenge £91.97
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business