Debate House Prices

In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non MoneySaving matters are no longer permitted. This includes wider debates about general house prices, the economy and politics. As a result, we have taken the decision to keep this board permanently closed, but it remains viewable for users who may find some useful information in it. Thank you for your understanding.

Ireland population boom post Brexit?

Options
If an EU national wants to move to an English speaking country most moved to England

Post Brexit their only option is Ireland

Could Ireland see EU migration levels spike post Brexit can they cope?

The UK accepting 100,000 a year is one thing, a country 1/14th the size accepting 100,000 is totally a different scale

Go long Irish property!!

This may even be a back door way for EU nationals to come to the UK especially if Ireland decides to give Irish citizenship to their EU migrants sooner rather than later. Current it's 5 years residency it could well be reduced to 1 year if they find it difficult to deal with huge numbers (relative to their small population)

Comments

• zagubov
    zagubov Posts: 17,886 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Remind me what's the attraction of an English-speaking country to an EU national again?

And isn't Malta cheaper to live in?
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
  • GreatApe
    GreatApe Posts: 4,452 Forumite
    Options
    zagubov wrote: »
    Remind me what's the attraction of an English-speaking country to an EU national again?

The very same reason Ireland would be my #1 choice if I were booted out of the UK
    I ain't learning no German that's for Nein
    And five years of French lessons got me no further than bonjour ja mapell David je adore the French long time! :beer:

Mal-where?

Ireland GDP per head is twice that of Malta so all other things considered wages will be about twice that of Ireland
  • Don_Two
    Options
    zagubov wrote: »

I wonder, what IS the attraction of an English-speaking country and why haven't you figured that out yet? There must be some attraction since so many come here, even now despite Brexit.
    :rotfl:
    I'm pretty sure that a little island like Malta would sink under the weight of migrants if they suddenly arrived at the rate of over a hundred thousand a year & we'll ignore the other difficulties like where they would live etc.
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,688 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say the appeal of London has nothing to do with us being English speaking. Our English is worse than most of Europe.

Eire will get a population boost but it'll be from Brits moving back into the EU.
  • Don_Two
    Don_Two Posts: 28 Forumite
    Options
    Herzlos wrote: »
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say the appeal of London has nothing to do with us being English speaking. Our English is worse than most of Europe.

Eire will get a population boost but it'll be from Brits moving back into the EU.
    London?
    Surely being (supposedly) a Scot you're aware that there is far more to GB than just London, though I know it is difficult to persuade these migrants that they speak a form of English there. Just like it's difficult getting them there once they realise that it's mostly cold, wet and remote.
    :D
  • Tallaght
    Tallaght Posts: 1,632 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Eire can be expensive,especially Dublin,and unemployment is very high.
  • kinger101
    kinger101 Posts: 6,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Why would an EU national want to move to a country simply because the first language is English?

People's mobility is usually tied to work. In any event, you can get by in English in many European countries. And other nationalities tend to be better at second languages than us.
    "Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance" - Confucius
  • paparossco
    Options
    Malta ain’t cheap. Gaming industry employees moving there have rocketed prices. You can also buy citizenship (thus EU passport) if you have a house over a set amount.
    The highest form of ignorance is when you reject something you don't know anything about.
    Wayne Dyer
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Tallaght wrote: »
    Eire can be expensive,especially Dublin,and unemployment is very high.

The southern rural areas are far worse employment wise.
  • MiserlyMartin
    Options
    GreatApe wrote: »
    If an EU national wants to move to an English speaking country most moved to England

Post Brexit their only option is Ireland

Could Ireland see EU migration levels spike post Brexit can they cope?

The UK accepting 100,000 a year is one thing, a country 1/14th the size accepting 100,000 is totally a different scale

Go long Irish property!!

This may even be a back door way for EU nationals to come to the UK especially if Ireland decides to give Irish citizenship to their EU migrants sooner rather than later. Current it's 5 years residency it could well be reduced to 1 year if they find it difficult to deal with huge numbers (relative to their small population)

I suggest you spend a bit of time in Ireland. Irish locals are not very welcoming to immigrants. A few direct provision centres have been burned down. The weather is awful and the infrastructure is not there.

City house prices are very high with a housing shortage. Central Bank of Ireland has a lending cap, maximum wage multiple on lending which is stopping runaway house price inflation, a sensible move after the boom - bust of 2008

Conveyancing costs are twice the UK's, like the cost of everything else there and they take ages to complete. It is no paradise
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure