Best place to exchange foreign currency

I've been sent some foreign currency for Christmas but I don't know which is the best place to exchange it. My local Post Office said they couldn't do it and they thought the bank probably couldn't either. The cash is in Australian dollars and Euros.
Don't mess with pensioners. :cool:

Replies

• Voyager2002Voyager2002 Forumite
    14.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Firstly, if you or a friend are likely to visit Euro-land or Australia soon then exchange with your friend or spend them there. Failing that, if the sums are modest then M & S is likely to be more helpful than your post office.
  • mrsyardbroommrsyardbroom Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not going abroad. I was hoping there would be somewhere local where I could just walk in and exchange it.
  • mrsyardbroommrsyardbroom Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    A notice has just come up on the screen saying thank you for reporting. I can only think I've accidentally touched the touch pad too hard on the laptop I'm using. I haven't reported anyone!
  • J_BJ_B Forumite
    5.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not going abroad. I was hoping there would be somewhere local where I could just walk in and exchange it.

Guessing where you live, I'd say there was a shop that could help about three streets away! :D :rotfl: ;)

Where is likely to be "local"? :)
  • benjusbenjus Forumite
    5.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭

I'd have thought that larger Post Office branches would be able to exchange it, if you can put up with the rotten exchange rates at the PO.
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
  • TheShapeTheShape Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    I've been sent some foreign currency for Christmas .....
    I'm not going abroad....

Not a great Christmas present then.

If you're not planning a trip or not a regular traveller why would someone gift you foreign currency?
  • PollycatPollycat Forumite
    31.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Savvy Shopper!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TheShape wrote: »

If you're not planning a trip or not a regular traveller why would someone gift you foreign currency?
    I assumed it had been sent from someone - possibly 2 different people - living abroad who didn't want to incur exchange costs themselves.

A friend of mine had a sister in law living in USA who used to send the kids Christmas and birthday money in US $.
    By the time she'd paid the commission to get it exchanged, it wasn't worth much at all.
    A notice has just come up on the screen saying thank you for reporting. I can only think I've accidentally touched the touch pad too hard on the laptop I'm using. I haven't reported anyone!
    You may have hit the :spam: button on one of the replies by mistake.

You can undo this by clicking on the button again.
    You can tell which post it is as it will say 'not :spam:' or something like that.
  • TheShapeTheShape Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    TheShape wrote: »

Pollycat wrote: »
    I assumed it had been sent from someone - possibly 2 different people - living abroad who didn't want to incur exchange costs themselves.

I assumed the same.

Still a rubbish way of gifting money as the recipient will both incur the cost of exchange out of the value of the gift anyway and has the bother of doing so. If you wanted to gift someone X value of Australian Dollars, just gift that value minus the exchange fee.

Also, cash sent in the mail?
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides