Sign up with Virgin Media - for a friend?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Broadband & Internet Access
5 replies 777 views
SCUDSCUD Forumite
108 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Broadband & Internet Access
Hi all,

A friend of mine is currently with Virgin Media but his contract is coming to an end. As usual VM will increase his monthly payment. And the good deals are for the new customers only.

He asked me if I can sign up for a VM deal for his place. So the contract is in my name (New Customer- I am not with VM currently) but the direct debit will come out of his account.

I am totally confident that he will pay for the service as normal, so that is not a concern to me.

My question is does this affect me or my credit score? Do VM run checks if the person lives in that property? Or they just deal with name on contract as an account holder?

If so, can’t anybody sign up every year under different names and get the “New Customer” prices?

Replies

  • Neil_JonesNeil_Jones Forumite
    6.2K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why faff around anymore than you need to?

    Just tell your friend to phone up Virgin and say my contract is up, I can move to Provider X for <whatever> a month and they will give me this, that and the other but I want to stay with you, what can you do for me?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    MoneySaving Newbie
    SCUD wrote: »
    He asked me if I can sign up for a VM deal for his place. So the contract is in my name (New Customer- I am not with VM currently) but the direct debit will come out of his account.
    Virgin won't knowingly allow this and I wouldn't trust your "friend" to continue paying in your name anyhow.

    As above, there are retention deals available for those who want to take advantage of them, so why indulge in fraudulent activity to potentially gain little or anything?

    What's in it for you?
  • SCUDSCUD Forumite
    108 Posts
    Thank you both for the advise.

    VM refused to give in and kept saying that lower prices are only for new customers. He is leaving them for another provider.
  • Neil_JonesNeil_Jones Forumite
    6.2K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    SCUD wrote: »
    Thank you both for the advise.

    VM refused to give in and kept saying that lower prices are only for new customers. He is leaving them for another provider.

    A lot depends on the luck of the draw as to who you get and when. Sometimes you can get lucky and get somebody who will bend over backwards to keep you, other times you get somebody who wouldn't give you the time of day.

    If your dad really wants to stay with Virgin you may have to phone back another time.
  • AnonAnon Forumite
    14.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SCUD wrote: »
    Hi all,

    A friend of mine is currently with Virgin Media but his contract is coming to an end. As usual VM will increase his monthly payment. And the good deals are for the new customers only.

    He asked me if I can sign up for a VM deal for his place. So the contract is in my name (New Customer- I am not with VM currently) but the direct debit will come out of his account.

    I am totally confident that he will pay for the service as normal, so that is not a concern to me.

    My question is does this affect me or my credit score? Do VM run checks if the person lives in that property? Or they just deal with name on contract as an account holder?

    If so, can’t anybody sign up every year under different names and get the “New Customer” prices?

    Yes they run credit checks on the address (which may lead to rejection as you won't be linked to that address for any other credit), plus could cause complications in future for other credit as you will be linked to two addresses.

    You need to cancel with Virgin to get the best deals - outbound retentions who call after cancellation are different to the people you can talk to when you call them.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals