Fiber connection

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Broadband & Internet Access
4 replies 683 views
mjanmjan Forumite
70 Posts
Tenth Anniversary
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Broadband & Internet Access
Hello,

Wondering if anyone has any words of advice on my case. All suppliers searches I make say I cannot get fiber to my address. My options are regular broadband or virgin cable.
Now, I just had an engineer from openreach coming over to check a few problems I've been having with my Plusnet broadband and he said that my next door neighbour and the telegraph pole just outside my house are connected to fiber and there's spare sockets. He doesn't understand why I'm not being given the choice of fiber.
What do you think? Who do I need to talk to to get connected, anyone knows?

Thanks

Replies

• Go here and use the fibre checker: https://www.openreach.com/fibre-broadband

If you have FTTC, then Plusnet are talking crap and clueless. I’d switch to BT if FTTC is available.
  • matelodavematelodave Forumite
    6.9K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Plusnet, Sky and TT and most others dont dont do fibre (note the proper spelling) to the premises (FTTP). Although Sky Y TalkTalk have been mumbling about it for sometime, they haven't got themselves sorted out and it's only openreach who can install and activate it.

It's only offered by a limited number of suppliers like BT, Zen, Andrews &Arnold and a couple of others, check this link.

It's really difficult to get any sense out of most of the suppliers because it's not widely understood (even BT aren't much good unless you can talk to someone in the know)

If you do an availability check on Zen or BT (look for ultrafast) you should be able to see if they can offer it to you. We've had availability since April last year but it's only recently been showing up on the BT & Zen availability checkers
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • mjanmjan Forumite
    70 Posts
    Tenth Anniversary
    Thanks for the link above.

I've check fibre availability and my post code is mostly covered but not my door number. For example, my upstairs neighbour and my next door neighbours, both sides, show as having availability but not my number. It looks like someone skipped my address on the database.
    Does anyone know who to contact to rectify this?
    Thanks
  • See what OpenReach say about this, because that’s odd.

Free: 0333 055 1448

If that number doesn’t work then try:
    0800 023 2023
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Card providers to reserve up to £100

When you pay at supermarket fuel pumps

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up