Buying my house back

Hi, myself and my ex have been through the courts and has been decided that the house has to be sold. Everything in the court finances worked off the house being a certain price. Can my ex refuse to sell her share of the house to me? And can she refuse to sell it to me for the price stated in the court proceedings?
Thanks in advance

Comments

• TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,198
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    She could refuse to sell to you if she thinks it may achieve a better price on the open market. If you market it and get an offer, then there is nothing to stop you offering a bit more to keep it

The value agreed at court would typically have been for negotiation purposes - you won't know what it is really worth until you actually sell.

That said, if you buy her out, you would save on estate agents fees which might give each of you a couple of thousand extra, so it might be attractive to her - and if she has somewhere in mind that she wants to buy, then a quick sale to you might appeal

How up to date was the figure used at court, and was it a formal surveyors valuation, or an estimate based on estate agents appraisals
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure