Forum Home» Ebay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales

Hermes, Ebay and how to claim for lost items

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Hermes, Ebay and how to claim for lost items

16 replies 1.4K views
dripsterdripster Forumite
1 posts
I've sold something on Ebay and made the mistake of sending the item via Hermes as I couldn't get to a post office in good time. The item was lost (confirmed by Hermes after a 'sweep' of their warehouse) and so I refunded the buyer. Now I just have to claim from Hermes. Easy?

Nope. I've been round and round their online chat (still haven't had a reply to my phone calls). First they said I had to claim via Ebay, which I smelt a rat on, and on contacting Ebay they confirmed I need to take it up with Hermes. BUT I CAN'T EVEN GET A FORM OR DETAILS ON HOW TO DO THIS?!

Has anyone had any luck with this?

Replies

• Spoonie_TurtleSpoonie_Turtle Forumite
    1.6K posts
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    From their web page: https://support.myhermes.co.uk/app/answers/detail/a_id/471/~/submitting-a-claim#gs=eyJndWlkZUlEIjoxOSwicXVlc3Rpb25JRCI6MSwicmVzcG9uc2VJRCI6MSwiZ3VpZGVTZXNzaW9uIjoiZmM1WmF4d28iLCJzZXNzaW9uSUQiOiJmYzVaYXh3byJ9
    If you think that your parcel may be lost or has been held up in transit, please get in touch and we'll carry out an extensive investigation in Customer Services.

In the regrettable event that we cannot find your parcel, we'll send you a claims form and guide you through the process step by step.

We'd recommend calling our customer service team on 0330 333 6556 but you can also contact us by email or web chat.

Or they look like they're active on Twitter - I've had more success with customer service depts on Twitter than via e-mail, possibly because it's more public! https://twitter.com/Hermesparcels/with_replies

As they've not sent you a claim form it looks like you'll have to specifically request it, whichever method you use to contact them.
  • theonlywayisuptheonlywayisup Forumite
    14.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you buy their service via Ebay or did you buy direct? This will depend on how you claim and what the process is.
  • lindenslindens Forumite
    2.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Did you buy their service via Ebay or did you buy direct? This will depend on how you claim and what the process is.

yes the important thing is how did you buy your labels as your contract is with them. so thats who you claim off
    You're not your * could have not of * Debt not dept *
  • mrmmhfmrmmhf Forumite
    83 posts
    10 Posts First Anniversary
    We sent a parcel that arrived damaged - it's IMPOSSIBLE to get hold of MyHermes - when you call them, they say all the info you need is on the website and send an email or start a web chat - when you try to do that, it takes you to a page with useless information and tells you call customer support. This is a joke.

Any advice.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • mrmmhfmrmmhf Forumite
    83 posts

Really? When I called eBay yesterday they fobbed me off and told me to take it up with MyHermes.

I'm calling eBay again now because I can't get hold of MyHermes.

The item that was damaged (destroyed) was an expensive flatscreen TV and I'm fuming.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • mrmmhfmrmmhf Forumite
    83 posts
    Just spoke to eBay - all complaints have to be direct to PackLink now.
  • edited 6 January at 10:26AM
    soolinsoolin Forumite, Board Guide
    66.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 6 January at 10:26AM
    mrmmhf wrote: »
    Really? When I called eBay yesterday they fobbed me off and told me to take it up with MyHermes.

I'm calling eBay again now because I can't get hold of MyHermes.

The item that was damaged (destroyed) was an expensive flatscreen TV and I'm fuming.

The bad news is you were not insured as TVs are specifically excluded from compensation:

https://www.myhermes.co.uk/help/carry-guide/

Before you bought the postage you agreed to this term:
    You are responsible for checking that your item can be sent within the UK. Please see the latest information and restrictions. If you have any questions please contact Packlink customer service.

th elink on th epage which it asks you to check, takes you here:

https://support-ebay.packlink.com/hc/en-gb/articles/209034425?flash_digest=e3e64633c9d541ed384e2169ff628dae672ab275

I suspect the 'glass' restriction there is what gets you for TVs.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
  • martindowmartindow Forumite
    8.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    soolin wrote: »

I suspect the 'glass' restriction there is what gets you for TVs.
    Or damage to anything fragile is taken by carriers as evidence that the box and padding used was insufficient to protect it. No doubt their t&cs have some sort of catch all regarding the packaging.
  • mrmmhfmrmmhf Forumite
    83 posts
    I never even thought of looking at the T&Cs - one assumes that you've sold a TV on eBay as a TV and you're trying to ship it - there should be a notice to tell you that this item is potentially restricted and not covered.
  • soolinsoolin Forumite, Board Guide
    66.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    mrmmhf wrote: »
    I never even thought of looking at the T&Cs - one assumes that you've sold a TV on eBay as a TV and you're trying to ship it - there should be a notice to tell you that this item is potentially restricted and not covered.

Nothing should be assumed when selling on eBay. It's the same for the global shipping programme, the seller is expected to remove GSP if the item can't be shipped overseas (such as perfume) .

I think we are all rather guilty of confirming we've read the t and cs when we haven't even glanced at them.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide