Bereavement & Switching from BT

Options
Hi - My father has recently passed away, so I am helping my mother getting all their accounts etc in order.

I noticed that they were paying a ridiculous amount for their BT services (£65 last month) - I then discovered they were paying for a very fast broadband package (unnecessary for what it is used for), but whilst the phone included free calls to landlines, mobiles were not covered. Most of the people my mum talks to now use mobiles so she is getting hammered for that (unfortunately she gets no mobile signal where she lives so cannot use a mobile herself).

It turns out that BT emailed them saying this was a great new contract back in September and they accepted it and are now tied into it for another 15 months. However the account was in my late father’s name, so I can legitimately close this account by informing BT of the bereavement. However this creates an issue for my mother moving forwards. She would like to switch to a new provider – one which will provide her with a basic broadband package and a telephone package that covers calls to all numbers (including mobiles) any time (Something like the Now Broadband Package for £18.99 per month)

If I inform them of the bereavement they will close the account, can she then simply swap? will she need to pay to reopen the line? Will she loose her number?

What we don’t want to do is pay BT for the remaining contract especially when I feel it was miss sold to them – they did not fully understand what they were agreeing to!

Any help gratefully appreciated – thanks!

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    microkid1 wrote: »
    Hi - My father has recently passed away, so I am helping my mother getting all their accounts etc in order.

I noticed that they were paying a ridiculous amount for their BT services (£65 last month) - I then discovered they were paying for a very fast broadband package (unnecessary for what it is used for), but whilst the phone included free calls to landlines, mobiles were not covered. Most of the people my mum talks to now use mobiles so she is getting hammered for that (unfortunately she gets no mobile signal where she lives so cannot use a mobile herself).

It turns out that BT emailed them saying this was a great new contract back in September and they accepted it and are now tied into it for another 15 months. However the account was in my late father’s name, so I can legitimately close this account by informing BT of the bereavement. However this creates an issue for my mother moving forwards. She would like to switch to a new provider – one which will provide her with a basic broadband package and a telephone package that covers calls to all numbers (including mobiles) any time (Something like the Now Broadband Package for £18.99 per month)

If I inform them of the bereavement they will close the account, can she then simply swap? will she need to pay to reopen the line? Will she loose her number?

What we don’t want to do is pay BT for the remaining contract especially when I feel it was miss sold to them – they did not fully understand what they were agreeing to!

Any help gratefully appreciated – thanks!

What did BT say when you contacted them?
  • wild666
    wild666 Posts: 2,125 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If I was selling a BB package I would ask what they used it for! Then I would suggest a package that is suitable for their needs. Elderly people don't go online 24/7 hammering Netflix and other streaming services, they could get by with a service of 11Mb. Using up to 76Mb just for general surfing and emails is pure overkill.
    Someone please tell me what money is
  • littleredhen
    Options
    Bereavement - BT account holder
    We're so sorry to hear about your loss. We know this can be a difficult time, so call us on 0800 169 1663 and we'll sort everything out. We don't need to see the death certificate.

Opening hours are 8am to 9pm Monday to Friday, 8am to 8pm Saturday, and 9am to 6pm Sunday.

Please have the following details to hand when you call:

The account number and name of the account holder - Where do I find the account number?>
    What you want us to do. For example, change the name of the account holder or close the account
    Your name and address
    Your relationship to the deceased
    The mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work unless it’s open.:o

A winner listens, a loser just waits until it is their turn to talk:)
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    As above , account/ contract ceased upon death .

Check with BT as they do a couple of basic packages .
  • iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 3,113 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 16 December 2019 at 7:29PM
    Options
    I suspect if the account is closed , then the number will be lost, and if a new provider used , then a new number from their own range would be allocated.
    There is a similar thread on BT’s own Consumer forum, in that case the account was closed in the deceased name and a more suitable package opened in the widows name, they initially were told to transfer the original package from the Mr to the Mrs , and then when they complained that the package was unsuitable, they were told ETC would apply if they left, but they did eventually get it sorted , possibly by the Mods on the forum , or just with the bereavement team, it may be worth registering and asking on that forum
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I have done two switches via bereavment team no problem .
    Both a payee switch not a termination .
  • microkid1
    Options
    Sorry - I should have said I have contacted BT bereavment and basically there were two options/: my mum takes over the account for the remianing 15 months or they close the account. If the account is closed then the line will be closed and the number released. If we transferred to her name then switched then she would have to pay early termination fees.
  • microkid1
    Options
    JJ_Egan wrote: »
    I have done two switches via bereavment team no problem .
    Both a payee switch not a termination .

Could you elaborate a bit on this please?
  • microkid1
    Options
    wild666 wrote: »
    If I was selling a BB package I would ask what they used it for! Then I would suggest a package that is suitable for their needs. Elderly people don't go online 24/7 hammering Netflix and other streaming services, they could get by with a service of 11Mb. Using up to 76Mb just for general surfing and emails is pure overkill.

My father was very ill when they agreed to this, and from talking to my mum they thought it was something they had to do to maintain their service. I really feel this has been miss-sold! There must be a way to switch provider without paying ETC
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    microkid1 wrote: »
    My father was very ill when they agreed to this, and from talking to my mum they thought it was something they had to do to maintain their service. I really feel this has been miss-sold! There must be a way to switch provider without paying ETC

There is and you've already been advised of it. You need to call the bereavement team who will cancel the contract and close the line. Find another supplier (many of them won't charge for re-enabling the line) although this will entail getting a new number.

They weren't mis-sold I'm afraid even though it looks like it was way more than they required. The post you were responding to sounds good but BT (or any other company) aren't charities and are there to make a profit whilst offering a service.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure