Unifi Dream Machine

Options
Hi all,

it seems unifi (ubiquiti) have out a new device called the Dream Machine which has a inbuilt switch, cloud key and access point all built in to it.

Now, it seems the switch isn't POE unfortunately but i'm wondering what peoples opinions are of it and do you still need a modem to connect to BT Fibre? and if so, is the Draytek 130 still the recommended modem or something else? it has MIMO 4x4 and reports I've found suggest it is really good and works ok for all use. no difference than buying the items independently. For me, i'm considering as I've never wanted to start screwing my access point to the ceiling of my house, i'm not a fan of that as if you ever move or want to relocate, it leaves holes that you then have to sort out. They also have a new FlexHD which is a access point that can stand on a table etc so IF dream machine wireless doesn't cover the property, i can use one of these elsewhere which is appealing.

Whats your thoughts?

Thanks

Kev

Comments

• mluton
    mluton Posts: 796 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 12 December 2019 at 5:42PM
    Options
    Unifi AP stuff has always been our go to product along with Draytek Firewalls for the installations we do at work. But this is expensive stuff for the "Home User".

Looks like the Dream Machine does not have a DSL modem, so you would have to modem only mode your existing BT hub to use this.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtKnqx3nUWs
  • kev2009
    kev2009 Posts: 1,039 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Thanks @mluton. I have the BT smarthub 6 and I don't believe you can modem only it from what I've found so far so hence would need a independent model i.e Draytek 130 - can you turn the LED lights off on it as of a night i found the lights on the BT smarthub tend to light up the place so I've turned them off.

the smarthub 6 wireless isn't that great so was considering switching BUT unsure how often unifi will update there products as i don't want to pay nearly £300 for the dream machine, only to find in a year or two they update it to include a POE switch for example which would be a huge benefit for future POE devices (Don't have any at the moment) but also considering getting cameras at home in the future and i'm seeing more and more are POE as opposed to wireless/own power supply.

Thanks

Kev
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 12 December 2019 at 6:02PM
    Options
    <the smarthub 6 wireless isn't that great>

BT Home Hub 6 Supposed to be one of the better signals from ISPs .
    I certainly found it excellent when used .
  • kev2009
    Options
    interesting @jj egan. Mine tends to be very slow and sometimes just drops off. Wired connection is fine but not great on wifi, I've even changed the channel the wireless is on but no real change hence ideal to switch as I suspect the Dream machine mimo 4x4 will give a bigger coverage than the smart hub 6? I know BT have the new smart hub 2 out which you can get discs for to put around but i'm reluctant to go this route given my experience of the smart hub 6 to date.

IF I can re-new BT contract for sensible price in Jan and persuade them to give me the new smart hub 2 for nothing then i'll give it a go but otherwise i'm thinking of alternatives.

Thanks

Kev
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Not getting any significant better WiFi with Smart Hub 2 . Without discs that is ,
    Dont forget any new BT Contract subject to a price rise March 2020 .

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2018/11/bt-publish-wifi-speedtests-for-new-smart-hub-2-router-vs-rival-isps.html
  • kev2009
    Options
    Thanks.

Kev
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income