WhatsApp to stop working on older phones from next year - MSE News

in Mobiles
20 replies 4.8K views
Former_MSE_NaomiFormer_MSE_Naomi Former MSE
519 Posts
Second Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped! Newshound!
MSE Staff
Messaging service WhatsApp will stop supporting Windows phones and older Androids and iPhones over the next few months - here's how to check if your device is affected...
Read the full story:
'WhatsApp to stop working on older phones from next year - here's how to check if you're affected'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Replies

• ballyblackballyblack Forumite
    4.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    no longer support Android phones running versions 2.3.7 and older or iPhones running iOS 8 or older after 1 February 2020.

cannot see how it will affect the vast majority of users
  • elsienelsien Forumite
    27.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, I'm still on iPhone 5 and that's up to iOS 10 so still supported.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Carrot007Carrot007 Forumite
    4.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    This really should be praise to whatsapp for supporting riduculously old version of phone os's.

But then again all the news outlets like to roll out the same clickbait article every year.
  • sal_IIIsal_III Forumite
    2K Posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary
    ✭✭✭
    They have established that the amount of data slurping from the tiny amount of users still using such old OSes is not worth the effort of maintaining compatibility.
  • pennyforthempennyforthem Forumite
    202 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    :mad: Great my phone is 6.0.1, so I take it I have a choice of paying more than £20 a year running costs because of no whatsapp or buying a new phone:mad:
    At least they are better than windows who kept putting fixes for their non-working windows music player when in reality they have stopped upgrading it:mad: I still have not found a workable solution and Amazon have utterly destroyed my music playlists on top of that, I cannot stand technology!!!!!!!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
  • powerful_Roguepowerful_Rogue Forumite
    5.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    :mad: Great my phone is 6.0.1, so I take it I have a choice of paying more than £20 a year running costs because of no whatsapp or buying a new phone:mad:
    At least they are better than windows who kept putting fixes for their non-working windows music player when in reality they have stopped upgrading it:mad: I still have not found a workable solution and Amazon have utterly destroyed my music playlists on top of that, I cannot stand technology!!!!!!!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

That must be a pretty old iPhone you use.
  • PHKPHK Forumite
    305 Posts
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    To be on iOS 6, your phone must be nine or ten years old. That's long passed the serviceable life.
  • powerful_Roguepowerful_Rogue Forumite
    5.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I was intrigued, you must be using an iPhone 3GS or earlier, which is over 10 years old!
  • pennyforthempennyforthem Forumite
    202 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    :eek:I would NEVER use apple products!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Wiley fox swift and if it is that old I have not noticed any differance in use and I have used it every single day, no faults with it at all!
  • d123d123 Forumite
    8.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    :eek:I would NEVER use apple products!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Wiley fox swift and if it is that old I have not noticed any differance in use and I have used it every single day, no faults with it at all!

So why are you blathering on then?
    After 1 February 2020, the app will no longer support phones using the following operating systems:

Android handsets – versions 2.3.7 or older
    ====
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides