Forum Home» Motoring» Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking

PCN but UKPC have put incorrect VRN on ticket.

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

PCN but UKPC have put incorrect VRN on ticket.

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking
21 replies 603 views
thumbcrusherthumbcrusher Forumite
7 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking
Friend got a ticket stuck to her car by UKPC for parking outside of a marked parking bay in a private retail carpark. The issuing warden has input "IO" instead of "10" on the ticket.

I have gone onto UKPC website to check photos and input the ticket ref No and both the incorrect VRN and the correct VRN. Both times it states, "Unable to find parking charge" and no photos to be seen.

I have also serached DVLA for the incorrect VRN and there is no such vehicle.

The car owner has spoken to the retailer who owns the carpark but they refused to get the ticket cancelled.

Normally i would send an appeal at day 26 to UKPC but do i need to on this occaision as i'm thinking they couldn't get the address of the RK? Should i just wait for her to get a NTK which may not appear if they have the wrong VRN?

If they realised their error on the original NTD and contacted DVLA for RK details, would this be legal as it seems they have no pics of the car so it would be pure speculation on their part as to what the correct numbers were on the reg plate? (Even these numpties wouldn't find it to hard to think what the correct digits should be in this case).

Thanks for any help!

Replies

• The_DeepThe_Deep Forumite
    16.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    UKPC are fraudsters, read this

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/11858473/Parking-firm-UKPC-admits-faking-tickets-to-fine-drivers.html

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Nine times out of ten these tickets are scams, so consider complaining to your MP after the election, as it can cause the scammer extra costs and work, and has been known to get the charge cancelled.

Parliament is well aware of the MO of these private parking companies, many of whom are former clampers, and on 15th March 2019 a Bill was enacted to curb the excesses of these shysters. Codes of Practice are being drawn up, an independent appeals service will be set up, and access to the DVLA's date base more rigorously policed, persistent offenders denied access to the DVLA database and unable to operate.

Hopefully life will become impossible for the worst of these scammers, but until this is done you should still complain to your MP, citing the new legislation.

[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2019/8/contents/enacted[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]

Just as the clampers were finally closed down, so hopefully will many of these Private Parking Companies.[/FONT][/FONT]
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • The_Slithy_ToveThe_Slithy_Tove Forumite
    3.9K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    How obviously is it an I and not a 1? These are trivial errors. Ironically, whenever a driver enters the incorrect details, substituting I/1 or 0/O, it's the end of the world and you owe them £100. But I'm sure they'll argue quite the opposite when it's them making the mistake.

Either way, I and 1 are typographically identical on UK number plates, as are O and 0. Only if you know the standard format of our number plates can you actually tell which it is.
  • edited 9 December 2019 at 4:55PM
    Rover_DriverRover_Driver Forumite
    1.5K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    edited 9 December 2019 at 4:55PM
    Another PPC ploy is to deliberately put a slightly incorrect registration mark on the Notice To Driver, hoping that the driver will contact them about the error, and during the conversation identify themselves as the driver, which will cancel any possible defences in the Protection of Freedoms Act.
    If the PPC are not contacted, when the Notice to Keeper arrives - surprisingly it is complete with the correct registration mark!
  • FruitcakeFruitcake Forumite
    49.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As Rover Driver says, this may be a deliberate ploy by the scammers to get an unwary motorist to reveal the driver's identity.

I would wait for the NTK. It might not arrive at all if the scammers haven't noticed the incorrect VRN. They aren't allowed to ask the DVLA for keeper details until day 28.

If the details on the NTD and NTK are different then the scammers have failed the strict requirements of the PoFA and cannot therefore hold the keeper liable.

If a NTK does arrive then a complaint to the DVLA and BPA should be made accordingly for obtaining keeper details without a valid reason.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • Thanks for the advice folks. I'll not appeal the NTD and instead await the NTK and appeal that instead and hopefully as you say Fruitcake, they'll !!!! it up.
  • Well the NTK has arrived with the correct reg number on it suprise suprise!
    However, UKPC have added to it that, "This parking charge notice supercedes 1362******* which has been reissued".

So, basically they realised the reg number error on the original NTD and have apparently issued a new one. How?

Are they really trying to say the NTK is now the NTD?

Clearly just another scam but doesn't this mean they should have waited 28 days after the "Reissued" NTD before contacting DVLA?

Just wanting to add any extra arguments to my appeal for the RK if it'll help their case.

Any thoughts on this one would be appreciated folks, (I've not come across this scenario on any other tickets i've dealt with).

Thanks!
  • beamerguybeamerguy Forumite
    16.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well the NTK has arrived with the correct reg number on it suprise suprise!
    However, UKPC have added to it that, "This parking charge notice supercedes 1362******* which has been reissued".

So, basically they realised the reg number error on the original NTD and have apparently issued a new one. How?

Are they really trying to say the NTK is now the NTD?

Clearly just another scam but doesn't this mean they should have waited 28 days after the "Reissued" NTD before contacting DVLA?

Just wanting to add any extra arguments to my appeal for the RK if it'll help their case.

Any thoughts on this one would be appreciated folks, (I've not come across this scenario on any other tickets i've dealt with).

Thanks!

UKPC has one stab at getting it right. If the warden got it wrong, that is the problem for UKPC

One assumes they tried to get info from the DVLA on a reg number that the warden screwed up on

As said, UKPC, are a big joke with their inept operation and should be reported to the BPA

Mind you, the BPA are a huge joke in themselves. UKPC should have been kicked out of the BPA ... trouble is the BPA like their subscription fees far too much ????
    RBS - MNBA - CAPITAL ONE - LLOYDS
    DISGUSTING BEHAVIOUR
  • UmkomaasUmkomaas Forumite
    31.2K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To have any hope of holding the keeper liable, the NtK must match precisely the detail recorded on the windscreen ticket.

In their letter to you (which they are calling a NtD) are they in any way claiming there is any liability on the keeper and referring to the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 (Schedule 4)?

If so, please tell us exactly what they have written.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask.
    Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
  • beamerguybeamerguy Forumite
    16.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess the BPA ARE SO OUT OF TOUCH with their membership scammers

It's so difficult to understand why the BPA don't get it ..... their membership comprises of some of the biggest scammers in the UK

THE BPA LOVE IT
    RBS - MNBA - CAPITAL ONE - LLOYDS
    DISGUSTING BEHAVIOUR
  • twhitehousescattwhitehousescat Forumite
    5.4K posts
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    thids is a case of "soft ticketing" , you have no choise but to go to there site to view incident and to see if the ticket was intended for your car

there is no way that you can appeal as the info to do this my mail or email is wrong