Roof repairs: 1.5 days and £650, actually took 4 hours!

Options
Hello

I'm not sure if i'm being unreasonable :D, so I'd appreciate a second opinion from you wise people. A good builder/roofer quoted me £650 to repair our roof (about 25 loose slates, bit of motor to on chimney and other places, etc, etc). He's done a good job (as far as I can tell), and the work is guaranteed for 2 years. BUT, he told me it would take at least a day so I though £650 sounded reasonable, but for 4 hours it now seems quite steep. There were two people on the job.

What do you think?? :)

I also have to remember that the other nearest quote was nearly double as he wanted to use scaffolding...

Comments

• pramsay13
    pramsay13 Posts: 1,965 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    So let me check I have this correct; a tradesman did a good job for the price he quoted you and it was half the price of the next best quote?

Yes you're being unreasonable.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    fatbadger2 wrote: »
    Hello

I'm not sure if i'm being unreasonable :D, so I'd appreciate a second opinion from you wise people. A good builder/roofer quoted me £650 to repair our roof (about 25 loose slates, bit of motor to on chimney and other places, etc, etc). He's done a good job (as far as I can tell), and the work is guaranteed for 2 years. BUT, he told me it would take at least a day so I though £650 sounded reasonable, but for 4 hours it now seems quite steep. There were two people on the job.

What do you think?? :)

I also have to remember that the other nearest quote was nearly double as he wanted to use scaffolding...
    Yes, you are being unreasonable. You got quoted for the job, not a day rate and he completed the job to your obvious satisfaction.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If he'd been on his own the job might have taken the predicted time.

With two of them working, it's been completed more quickly - eight man hours instead of twelve for one person.
  • stator
    stator Posts: 7,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If he used two people instead of one then it seems fair.

If he decided not to use scaffolding to increase his profits, then it's his silly risk to take.
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 14,138 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Yes, you're being unreasonable.
  • fatbadger2
    Options
    OK, that's good to know.

regarding me being unreasonable... my point is did he suggest 1.5 days in order to justify the costs of a proper job, when actually he's done a slap dash job in 1/3 the time? I mean it looks fine, but then I'm not on the roof, just looking at it from 30 feet.

But if everyone thinks £160/hour or £80/hr for each bloke is ok, then I'll take that as case closed! (But it seems blooming steep to me...)

cheers
  • JimmyChanga
    Options
    Roofers will get away with it because not many people want to go on a roof. Yes, he's made a nice sum but if you have no alternative that's the way it goes.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,548 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    As has been said, basically the estimate was 1 1/2 man days for one man. Often 2 people working properly together can do the work in less than half the time. You were content with the original quote and, assuming the work has been done well, there is no reason to feel otherwise now.
  • fatbadger2
    Options
    TELLIT01 wrote: »
    As has been said, basically the estimate was 1 1/2 man days for one man. Often 2 people working properly together can do the work in less than half the time. You were content with the original quote and, assuming the work has been done well, there is no reason to feel otherwise now.

OK, so 1.5 days is 12 man-hours (tho there was no mention of that being one person).
    2 people working 4 hours is 8 man-hours.
    So, if I give benefit of the doubt that he reckoned 1.5 days for 1 person (seems unlike buy hey ho) then I've paid 50% more than time estimated. That would mean £433. But, as long as it past 2 winters I suppose all is well.

cheers
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 14,138 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 8 December 2019 at 2:58PM
    Options
    Was his quote for the job or for the hourly rate? I think you're confusing the two. Based on your original post, he quoted for the job with an estimate of how long it would take. He overestimated the time it would take but the job was still done.

If it had taken him two full days, would you be insisting on paying him an extra £217? I thought not. So when the job's done faster than estimated you'd prefer to pay an hourly rate and if the job took longer than estimated, you'd prefer a fixed price? Am I right?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure