Noticed some changes? You can read all about the improvements we've made on the Forum in our latest announcement. We also have a new set of Forum rules so please take the time to give them a read and familiarise yourself.

Oven repair question

edited 30 November 2019 at 11:50AM in In my home (includes DIY) MoneySaving
12 replies 463 views
mrpunk50mrpunk50 Forumite
29 Posts
Ninth Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker
Hello everyone,

Last week, our in-built oven was tripping the electrics as soon as we turned the temperature dial on. Assumed this was probably a faulty element, so I ordered a replacement element online.

Today, I've removed the old element and connected the new one. The electrics no longer trip, so job done...

However: the element is one of the circular loop ones. It has a bracket with two screws at the top holding it onto the oven case. Behind one of those screws, the thread has disintegrated, so the screw no longer has anything to screw into. Since it's held by a single screw, the element is wonky and the oven fan knocks into it.

I'm really hoping someone has a genius idea of how to solve this. I don't mind calling a professional at this point, though I'm not sure what an oven repair person would be able to do with this.

Could I just use a temperature resistant tape, and tape the bracket where the screw is missing??

Thanks for any help! I'm getting very frustrated but having a working oven.

Replies

• neilmclneilmcl Forumite
    18.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Get slightly bigger screw so that'll "bite".
  • mrpunk50mrpunk50 Forumite
    29 Posts
    neilmcl wrote: »
    Get slightly bigger screw so that'll "bite".
    Good idea. But now that I look properly, there's actually nothing to bite. Theres a larger hole where you can see the insulation material. Then there was a bit of metal sticking across with the screw hole drilled into it. That little bit of metal has come away completely, so there's nothing to screw into.

Would there be any problem with heat resistant tape?
  • EssexExileEssexExile Forumite
    5.2K Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Take the oven out so you can get to the back of it & put everything back into place. If all else fails use a nut & bolt.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
    29 Posts
    EssexExile wrote: »
    Take the oven out so you can get to the back of it & put everything back into place. If all else fails use a nut & bolt.
    Thanks for the suggestion. When I say the bit of metal has come away, I should have been clearer: it's rusted and corroded out of existence. So there's nothing to put back into place.

I've now taken the oven out. Presumably I need to take off the back panel of oven, to get to the back of the inner cavity and use and nut & bolt?
  • TELLIT01TELLIT01 Forumite
    11.2K Posts
    10,000 Posts Sixth Anniversary Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes you will need to remove the panel to see if there is any access to the hole in order to fit a nut and bolt. My concern is that you say you see insulation through the hole. If the insulation is preventing access you are screwed as that really should never be interferred with.
  • nofoollikeoldnofoollikeold Forumite
    423 Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    Would a spire nut cover enough of what is left to enable you to secure a new element?
  • BelenusBelenus Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Would Araldite or another epoxy resin hold the screw and element in place?

Please check that Araldite is high temperature resistant and won't give off toxic fumes when you are cooking.

Check these links.
    A man walked into a car showroom.
    He said to the salesman, “My wife would like to talk to you about the Volkswagen Golf in the showroom window.”
    Salesman said, “We haven't got a Volkswagen Golf in the showroom window.”
    The man replied, “You have now mate".
  • LorianLorian Forumite
    5.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    A nut bolt and big washer is much cheaper and more effective than HT epoxy.

Make sure the insulation is put back behind it.
    29 Posts
    Thanks guys. I will give it a go tomorrow.

While I've got the oven out, I noticed both the oven and the electric hob are connected like this:

1BU7eOu.jpg

Does this look like a safe/legit connection? Would an electrician need to gain access to the actual socket (presumably behind the next cupboard unit) if I do end up needing to replace this oven?
  • While the oven is out whats the rating of the oven?
This discussion has been closed.