PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Vendor changing his mind re: lease

Options
13»

Comments

• AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Where do you stand? Outside the EA window, looking at what else is available.

You do not need to be the pawn in somebody else's divorce battle.

Are the EA somebody naughty? <shrug> They only know what their client tells them. Finding out the truth is your solicitor's job.

Is he doing something naughty? Well, he hasn't actually sold anything to anybody.
  • JonMitchell
    Options
    Hi Rikk

From your OP, your intention is to buy a flat within a block BUT the vendor changed his/her mind to give freehold to the whole block.

If my assumption is right, that effective gives you a share of freehold - not freehold. Only in England and Wales, as far as I do understand a lot of highstreet mortgage lenders DO NOT lend to flats that are Free Hold. I would suggest you clarify with vendor if its share of freehold or freehold.

I am in a somewhat similar situation like yourself, am interested in a new built flat within a block and was initially told by the EA that there will be share of freehold BUT NO LEASE - which turned out to be rubbish chuntering by the EA, not to mentioned money (with legal) and time wasted. However the many knowledgeable people here on this fourm is FAB!
  • rlkk
    rlkk Posts: 43 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »
    Where do you stand? Outside the EA window, looking at what else is available.

You do not need to be the pawn in somebody else's divorce battle.

Are the EA somebody naughty? <shrug> They only know what their client tells them. Finding out the truth is your solicitor's job.

Is he doing something naughty? Well, he hasn't actually sold anything to anybody.

Yes, obviously I’m not proceeding with the purchase now. I couldn’t, even if I wanted to. I’ll be looking at other properties once I’ve saved up enough to replace the £1,000+ I’ve wasted. My only question is whether there’s a chance I’d get any of that money back by complaining to the property ombudsman or similar. From your response, it sounds unlikely, which is useful to know. Thank you.
  • rlkk
    edited 8 December 2019 at 4:56PM
    Options
    Hi Rikk

From your OP, your intention is to buy a flat within a block BUT the vendor changed his/her mind to give freehold to the whole block.

If my assumption is right, that effective gives you a share of freehold - not freehold. Only in England and Wales, as far as I do understand a lot of highstreet mortgage lenders DO NOT lend to flats that are Free Hold. I would suggest you clarify with vendor if its share of freehold or freehold.

I am in a somewhat similar situation like yourself, am interested in a new built flat within a block and was initially told by the EA that there will be share of freehold BUT NO LEASE - which turned out to be rubbish chuntering by the EA, not to mentioned money (with legal) and time wasted. However the many knowledgeable people here on this fourm is FAB!

Sorry to hear you’ve had similar problems. What happened with your flat in the end? Surely very unusual for a new build to have no lease; the developer would be shooting themselves in the foot by making their properties harder to sell. Hope it all works out for you. I agree, the advice on this forum is invaluable.

Edit: forgot to clarify, turns out the vendor of ‘my’ flat doesn’t own the whole freehold, nor does he have a lease on the flat, so he won’t be selling it as a freehold or share of freehold (or, indeed, leasehold) property anytime soon!
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    rlkk wrote: »
    I’ll be looking at other properties once I’ve saved up enough to replace the £1,000+ I’ve wasted. My only question is whether there’s a chance I’d get any of that money back by complaining to the property ombudsman or similar.
    About as much chance of Boris telling the truth and keeping his trousers zipped.

And you haven't wasted it. The money you paid your solicitor has been well spent.
  • JonMitchell
    Options
    I am still contemplating putting in an offer at this stage. The vendors EA is good at chuntering but simply rubbish! I am hoping to secure a 999yrs lease instead of a 125 yrs lease for the apartment I am considering really. It's a new built with only 5 apartments in the block, with equal share of freehold, so I am told by the chuntering EA.

Wishing you plain sailing from here, it's never easy with flats......
  • rlkk
    Options
    I am still contemplating putting in an offer at this stage. The vendors EA is good at chuntering but simply rubbish! I am hoping to secure a 999yrs lease instead of a 125 yrs lease for the apartment I am considering really. It's a new built with only 5 apartments in the block, with equal share of freehold, so I am told by the chuntering EA.

Wishing you plain sailing from here, it's never easy with flats......

Thanks, and good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport